We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens and Islands suggestions

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Athens and Islands suggestions

Hi,

Im going to Athens for a week in September with my girlfiriend, and besides Athens we would like to get some sugestions for a island reasonably close to spend a couple of nights.

Our preference goes for something with nice beaches.

We've looked at ferries for Aegina, Agistri and Hydra; as well as plane for Heraklion.

Is there any island we're missing out? And which would you recomend for what we're looking for?

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Aegina
Aegina
Saronic Gulf Islands, Greece
Hydra
Hydra
4-Day Classical Greece Tour...
402 Reviews
from $614.50*
Special Offer
Delphi Day Trip from Athens
1,014 Reviews
from $84.73*
$100.90
Hydra, Poros and Egina Day Cruise...
831 Reviews
from $115.90*
11 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
458 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens and Islands suggestions

Another island you could try is Kea. You can take a ferry from Lavrio (takes about one hour) and the journey from central Athens to Lavrio is about the same length (bus or taxi can get you there). Kea has great beaches and is slightly off the main tourist trail because the ferries generally don't depart from Piraeus. As a bonus, Kea is not far Athens either.

Mentioned in this post
Kea
Kea
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens and Islands suggestions

Your best bet is either Aegina or Hydra with Aegina your best option as it's larger, has more to do, see and experience and closer to the mainland than Hydra.

Hydra is truly special because there are no vehicles allowed . . . all transportation is done by donkey. However, it's very upscale, trendy and the jetsetters love it.

Aegina is very popular with Greeks and has lots of options for shops, markets, tavernas, archeological sites, abandoned Byzantine village in the hills, one of the best preserved temples in Greece, ancient Olive Groves, and lots more.

I think Aegina would be your best option but no complaints if you want to do Hydra.

Mentioned in this post
Aegina
Aegina
Hydra
Hydra
Greece
Greece
Europe
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens and Islands suggestions

Thank you for your replies,

As far as the quality of the beaches how would you rank Aegina, Angistri and Kea? As the main focus of the island days would be to relax by the sea.

Would going to Aegina and one of the days take a day trip to Agistri a good option?

Regarding the bus to Lavrio do the buses have a regular schedule? Does the schedule on this link look about right? https:/…ferries-ports-athens.htm

Edited: 3:34 pm, July 19, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Aegina
Aegina
Angistri
Angistri
Kea
Kea
Cyclades, Greece
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens and Islands suggestions

I'll start off saying I have not been to Aegina or Agistri but both are on my "to-go-to" list. I think Aegina would be a wonderful island to visit that offers something for everyone. From research it has one of the best preserved temples in Greece, a wonderful archeological site of the remains of the Temple to Apollo right in Aegina Town, an abandoned Byzantine Village in the hills, it's known as the Pistachio Capital of Greece, has ancient Olive Groves, seaside villages, wonderful tavernas, shops, and markets.

It's often overlooked by tourists who flock to Santorini and Mykonos thinking that's what a Greek Island is all about. I believe Ageina will give you a more Greek Experience than those Big Name Islands with a wonderful combination of Old & New World Greece and just a short ferry ride away from the mainland.

You can combine Aegina with Agistri since it's very nearby and will take minutes to get to from Aegina. Agistri is known for its beaches and more family-oriented atmosphere.

You can scoot back to Piraeus from Agistri late afternoon and still have time for a night out in Athens.

The more I talk about Aegina & Agistri the more motivated I am to visit it sooner or later.

Edited: 3:56 pm, July 19, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Aegina
Aegina
Greece
Greece
Europe
Apollo Hotel
Apollo Hotel
691 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens and Islands suggestions

You are asking about beaches, so Kea is the better choice for that.

Mentioned in this post
Kea
Kea
Cyclades, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,283 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens and Islands suggestions

Kea forum link:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189…

Mentioned in this post
Kea
Kea
Cyclades, Greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens and Islands suggestions

Thank you all for your help,

We've done some more research and decided to go to visit Aegina and Angistri.

We'll be there during the Fistiki Festival, is this a fun thing? Or is it just too noisy?

Mentioned in this post
Aegina
Aegina
Angistri
Angistri
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens and Islands suggestions

The Fistiki Festival means it is very busy in town, stalls are all along the harbour front. Some live music & other events, mainly in the evenings.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
890 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens and Islands suggestions

Its a traditional time of the year so its great to soak up the atmosphere and the show and eat lots of pistaccios. They really are delicious.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens and Islands suggestions

Is anything closed due to the festival?

Reply to: Athens and Islands suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted