We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

York, England...
Level Contributor
260 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

Hi, this is my first post in the Athens forum, thank you for taking the time to read!

We (husband and I and 2 kids aged 11 and 9) are coming to Greece next April for 12 nights during the UK school Easter holidays. We are flying to and from Athens. We are thinking of spending a few nights in Athens, then going on to Delphi for a couple of nights, and then back to Nafplio for several nights. I have to confess this itinerary has been inspired by a novel! I know Delphi is a bit of a detour but the journey from there to Nafplio is a distance we are happy with by car and leaves us not too far from the airport for coming home (5pm flight so plenty of time). My questions are:

1. How long to spend in Athens - is 3 nights enough to see the main sights and get a feel for the city or would 4 or 5 nights be better? (I know how long is "enough" is a bit subjective!)

2. Similar question - would 2 nights in Delphi be ok? Planning to visit the ruins before or after the main crowds, have a little time to relax and potter.

Three nights in Athens then 2 in Dephi would leave us with 7 in Nafplio with maybe some day trips out and of course beach time for the kids.

3. Transport - we would not want a car in Athens so am thinking we will go back out to the airport to pick up a car before driving on to Delphi, returning the car there before flying home at the end of our trip. I'm a little concerned that this might be a massive faff and take all day. We have had success on several trips hiring cars from smaller local firms rather than the main airport counters, where you perhaps go to somewhere a little away to collect the car which seems a bit more efficient with time! Is there a company like this that anyone could recommend?

I am very open to any comments and suggestions on any aspect of this itinerary including alternatives to Napflio that might make sense and alternative transport arrangements...

Many thanks indeed.

Alison

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Nafplio
Nafplio
Argolis Region, Greece
4 replies to this topic
Papillion, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice

I can only comment on the amount of days/nights in Athens. We just returned and spent 4 nts./3 1/2 days in Athens. For me, it was plenty. We bought the special ticket and saw all 7 sties included on it. We visited numerous areas of the city and even took a day trip to Aegina. We also had some down time to just wander around.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Aegina
Aegina
Saronic Gulf Islands, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice

A couple of local and highly recommended car hire companies.

https://www.athens-carrental.com/

https://www.autounion.gr/

Your itinerary sounds good. You have obviously thought through a lot of things. I think you will be fine with the 3 nights in Athens Or maybe 4 ;). In my opinion Delphi doesn't really require 2 nights. There is a lot to do and see in the region around Nafplio. There are ancient sites and nice beaches and Nafplio itself is a charming town. The link below has lots of things of interest in the area.

http://visitnafplio.com/

As you will have a car you can take in a visit to Epidavros. In my opinion the best preserved ancient theatre in Greece. It really is a stunning site. Not far from Nafplio either. You also have the town of Tolo not far as well and also the possibility to nip across to the islands of Poros or Methana for the day.

I hope the links and info helps you to get the most out of your holiday.

Edited: 2:10 pm, June 06, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Nafplio
Nafplio
Argolis Region, Greece
Epidavros Hotel
Epidavros Hotel
365 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Poros
Poros
Saronic Gulf Islands, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice

Methana is effectively a peninsula, not an island.

York, England...
Level Contributor
260 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice

Thank you both, that really helps, good to know we are on the right track. I will take a look at the links now. Car rental recommendations greatly appreciated. A

Reply to: Itinerary advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;