We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens on Easter

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
47 posts
26 reviews
Athens on Easter

Hello, I was looking for some recommendations on what to do in Athens on Easter Sunday since a lot of places will be closed. I will be arriving on a cruise ship. THANKS ALOT FOR ANY INFO!!

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Athens on Easter

Walk around the city, the Acropolis, in Plaka, Monastiraki, Thisseion, Syntagma sq, the National gardens, the old Olympic Stadium. If you are there for the day, and don’t have the possibility of going to any of the museums, just go in to the subway station at Syntagma sq, you’ll see it is like a museum, they are exhibiting whatever they found during the excavations for the subway. Somewhere I read “the best museum I have ever been to, was the tube station at Syntagma sq” you will love it!

It will give you a different perspective of Athens than usual being there on Easter Sunday. Try going into the residential neighborhoods as well, even though many will have left for the countryside you’ll probably see some people celebrating around Athens.

Europe
Level Contributor
257 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Athens on Easter

I think Sunday Easter does not forbid you to walk in the center of Athens, on the contrary you will be very lucky to strool without traffic and pollution, see to my prior post to SEMCO 1 some days ago suggesting sightseeing in Athens its a great opportunity and I believe that you will find some spots at the areas Timothy wrote, you will not be the only tourist in Athens and restaurants owners knows that. I don't know if he Parthenon is open mayve nick could answer. Also , I don't know if you overnight, but could take the green line from the port and go Faliro and then the tramway and enjoy the Attica's coast , walk ,see the facilities for the Olypmpics, and you'll also find cafe and restourants.The weather they said will be Ok, in Athens, at least not rainy.

Europe
Level Contributor
257 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Athens on Easter

Also, is a must to walk all the way from Thission (there is a station-green line from Piraeus)to Hadrian's Arch, Apostolou Pavlou str. and Dionyssiou Areopagitou str. , both pedestrians and beautiful walk and you pass by Parthenon,Herode's Atticus Ancient Theather, the map below will be helpful I think.

Europe
Level Contributor
257 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Athens on Easter

Sorry, the map:

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:2nJY57DTT6QJ:www.cretetravel.com/Athens/Athens_mini_guide/Athens_map.htm+Athens+map&hl=el&ct=clnk&cd=14

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Athens on Easter

( Reverse is more beautiful, Acropolis station -> Thission Sq )

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
47 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Athens on Easter

Thanks everyone for the great comments!!

7. Re: Athens on Easter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 29, 2009