We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens Metro - wheelchair user

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
112 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Athens Metro - wheelchair user

Hi,

I'm coming to Athens for 4 nights next month & just wondered if anyone could clarify one or two things about the underground metro system for me? I've read in a couple of places that Metro travel is free for disabled people, but others have suggested that it's only for Greek resident disabled people and/or that you may need to provide certain documentation to "prove" your disability. Other places have even suggested if you're disabled, you don't even need to buy a ticket of any kind of the Metro and can just use it at will without any form of ticket.

Could anyone who knows for sure just clarify the situation for me? I've heard there are pretty hefty fines for getting things wrong when it comes to tickets, so I don't want to make any honest mistakes!

Thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens Metro - wheelchair user

Although you are entitled to free access to most of the sites and museums, you are not entitled to free use of the transportation system.

Disabled people are entitled to free transportation in Athens but only under a specific income treshold and if they are Athens residents.

So being disabled does not guarantee that you 'll be able to enter in the metro, buses etc for free, even if using a wheelchair.

The specific treshold is under 23,000 euros per year for an unmarried person ( other categories exist ) and you need to be an Athens resident and registered in order to get a free annual voucher.

The rule of the transortation comittee is not very clear in their English page: http://oasa.gr/content.php?id=freekom&lang=en

But the thing is pretty clarified in the Greek verion of it: http://oasa.gr/content.php?id=freekom

Automatic translation through Google Translator:

"B .. The following categories of passengers, according to the existing legislation are exempt from the fare paid for their movement by all means of public transport OASA competence.: Buses, Trolley Buses, Trams, Electric Train, Metro (to Airport), *****on presentation of the corresponding vouchers evidencing such*****:

(. . . )

. . .People with special needs (disabled), under the administration by the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, through the Departments of Welfare Law. ***Attica area***, special Annual Cards Free Mobility. "

The free transportation in Athens right is provided to disabled visitors residentos of Athens only. In other words. . . a disabled Greek that lives in Crete for example. . . gets free transportation there in Crete, not in Athens and only under specific income criteria.

----------------------------------------

The price of transportation is quite low here, so go for full ticket. . . if you ask me honestly any ticket controller would not really check this. . . still the free transportation applies only for Athens residents.

I only have a doubt on this one if someone is a disabled veteran. Int his case i am sure it applies for a Greek War disabled Veteran still i don't know if it applies for a disabled Veteran from another country and with what requirements. If you fall in this category, i could ask this one.

For a disabled visitor the following offers apply

- public sites, Acropolis and Acropolis ticket sites, Nat. Arch. Museum, Acropolis Museum, Benaki Museum, Goulandri Cycladic Art Museum, War Museum, Byzantine Museum . . . all grant acess for free to disabled visitors. In cases of an invisible disability you 'll need proof of disability.

You can also get to Acropolis site through a specifically installed elevator.

If you have any questaions or specific directions for moving around etc or entering the sites, please dpo post.

Some sites / museums are either 100% accessible or pretty acessible, some because of their age or ground morphology make not be acessible or fully acessible.

Edited: 12:28 pm, February 12, 2017
Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
112 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens Metro - wheelchair user

Ah fair enough. That explains why I possibly got my wires crossed with info from different places. No problem. Appreciate you taking the time to clarify things for me. Are the Metro elevators always in an obvious, visible place? Might seem like a strange question I know, but I was in Tokyo a few months ago where that was very much not always the case! They were sometimes streets away from the normal entrances hidden all over the place! Oh and while I'm here - Uber... As you can imagine, using Uber in my position while in a foreign city that I'm not familiar with has come in very handy quite a number of times in the past! I believe Athens has them, but a few places have said they're not a "cashless" service as they are in other countries? Not really a big deal either way, but does anyone know if that's true? Apologies in advance for all the other questions to come in the next 4 weeks btw! :-)

thanks,

Gary

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens Metro - wheelchair user

No apologies needed :)

The elevators in central stations are not all the time in obvious places, stuill they are near. . . it won't be streets away, still they may at the other side of the station. Usually it's entrances from two sides of an avenue but elevaor only on on side.

Here: https://drive.google.com/open…

I'ts the main stations i can recall and their elevator locations. . . it's some meters we re talking about.

Edited: 1:56 pm, February 12, 2017
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens Metro - wheelchair user

Re Uber i use another app so i don't have first hand experience at all.

I use Taxibeat. . . this is what most people i know use here. . . and i can pay with my credit card of course. There is another popular app here, Taxiplon, still Taxibeat is what i personally use.

https://taxibeat.com/ is the English version

Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens Metro - wheelchair user

Uber cars in Athens are illegal,rare and not cheaper than the already dirt cheap taxis,there is an abundance of taxis roaming around the city and you can always call 18300 or download the Taxibeat app for pick up service at no extra charge.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens Metro - wheelchair user

Another tip:

In metro stations you 'll find toilets. They are not available for generla use, so it' snot like you walk in and canget to them. They are not signed.

The toilets are there in all Blue and Red metro line stations for disabled passengers or for people that may have an emergency. In order to use the toilet, you go to the station master. . . it's at the ticket level, very profound right in the middle and you just tell them that you need to use the restroom.

The toile is very acceptable, It's ok-clean, not stellar but pretty ok. Basin in with lever, a little higher ball with folding bar aside. . . no shower. Do have some basic sanitary items always in bag, like tissue and an alcohol sanitizer. . . toilets always have paper and soap but it's the cheapest soap they could find lol :) It works though :)

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
112 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens Metro - wheelchair user

Fantastic info. Taxibeat app downloaded and set up. Cheers guys. Re the toilets - can you go in and use them even if you don't use the metro? That would be an invaluable bit of info because it can sometimes be a nightmare to locate accessible toilets in a new city! Thanks again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,636 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens Metro - wheelchair user

All cafés have toilets, and people are generally kind and helpful. If you need a toilet and go into a café to ask to use it, the chances are you will be helped. Obviously it would be nice to sit down and eat or drink something, but if you don't want to to do that I don't think it would make any difference.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
112 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens Metro - wheelchair user

I'm well aware that all cafes have toilets, but if it's not a disabled toilet, I can't use it. Obviously. Anyway, moving on...

10. Re: Athens Metro - wheelchair user

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 17, 2018