We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Santorini, Ferry or Plane?

Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Athens to Santorini, Ferry or Plane?

I will be staying in Athens for three nights / 2.5 days ( is this enough time to see everything?). Then going to Santorini for 4 nights (worth staying in Oia? Too long?) Mykonos for three nights (flying home directly from Mykonos).

I have heard it is a long trek and hastle to get from Athens back to airport so I was thinking of taking the Hellenic ferry to Santorini instead of flying. But also do not want to get stuck in Athens if there are delays ( people seem to be complaining of high winds, delays in August). So i was wodering if it is worth the hastle of going back to the airport to ensure we are not stuck because of ferry delays?

Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Santorini, Ferry or Plane?

There is no problems with ferries. I don't where you get those ideas from. Most are very large and the possibility of them not running due to really rough seas is very small.

I've been going for 30 years and never had a ferry cancelled from Piraeus.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Santorini, Ferry or Plane?

Before deciding which mode of transport to use have a look at what it will cost to fly on your date. Taking a Blue Star conventional ferry will cost around 40€ and a Highspeed catamaran around 55€ in Economy. Blue Star around 6.5 hours and Highspeed about 5 hours from Piraeus. A flight is about 50 minutes and there is absolutely no problem getting from Athens to the airport. Frequent inexpensive bus or metro from the city centre.

When checking the flight prices check if baggage is included in the headline price and calculate the final price from there before deciding. Finally decide whether the time saved by flying is worth whatever extra it will cost versus the more leisurely ferry crossing. If you do decide ferry then go Blue Star to maximise the entrance to the caldera as you would be sat inside in the catamaran so no view.

Edited: 10:26 am, May 13, 2016
Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Santorini, Ferry or Plane?

Thanks. What about the days in each location? To many, too few?

Oia or Fira? Is there enough nightlife in Oia or does everything shut down at 10 p.m.?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Santorini, Ferry or Plane?

Hey and welcome Erin5308:-) Don't know where you're hearing about the hassle of getting to/from the airport from Athens.. it's an easy run (depending on where you are staying) via bus, metro or cab that offers a flat rate of 38E all in.. easy enough.. all averaging out to about 35-40 min;-)

Having said that, nowhere will be quiet in August .. most especially the 2 most popular isles you will be visiting.. and FWIW, Greeks don't even head out to eat till 10p or even later;-)) I was in Oia last year as early as tail end April and lingered till about 2a at the taverna we were at for dinner.. it will be heaving busy in August;-))

Have you considered switching it around a bit.. maybe flying out direct to either Santorini or Mykonos upon arrival in Athens?:-) Will save you backtracking.. as well as ensure your return flight by saving Athens for the finale.. also a great place to de-lag and get into zone as opposed to hitting the concrete straight off the tarmac;-) Athens is a vibrant metropolis that involves allot of walking.. climbing.. best to have your land legs back to explore:-)

Check www.aegeanair.com/ for the quick puddle jumper flight to either isle.. whichever best fits with your arrival in Athens.. you can ferry between the isles.. check www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ for ferry schedules.. then either ferry or fly back to Athens:-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Santorini, Ferry or Plane?

Thanks for the info on Oia! I have already booked my flight from Mykonos to home so Athens will have to come first:) now that I have decided on flying to Santorini ( thanks for feedback on that too) and stay in Oia,need to figure out where to stay in Mykonos. But may start another post on that:) love this place at Platys Gialos but it seems to much trouble to get from there to town and the port everyday ( go to Delos one day).

6. Re: Athens to Santorini, Ferry or Plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 15, 2017