We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

Vail, Colorado...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

My husband & I were thinking of traveling to the Greek Islands at the end of our European trip. We would fly into Crete and travel to Santorini and possibly some other islands. Are there still riots and social unrest? Should we change this leg of our trip to a different location? Thanks for any insight.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

People in Greece are having a hard time economically but this will have ZERO impact on you as a tourist. You will be welcomed as warmly as ever, if not more so as tourists are more than ever a vital source of income. Do not be put off by exaggerated media reports of "riots". Any protests and demonstrations have been on the whole peaceful, any trouble has been limited to a small area of Athens around the parliament building and have involved police and demonstrators, no tourists have been affected. In tourist areas everything is as normal, you may see a few closed up shops but that is the same throughout Europe and indeed the USA.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

You have nothing to worry about in Greece - even in Athens, it's much safer than most American cities. You'd have to exert a lot of effort to put yourself in an uncomfortable situation anywhere in Greece. I've read about sketchy parts of Athens, but have never found them. And the islands are far removed from any unrest.

You might have a good reason to not visit Greece (for example if you only have a few days to spend there), but safety is not one of them.

Edited: 3:37 pm, March 25, 2013
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

Almost all demonstrations take place in Central Athens. The www livingingreece website (run by an American) is very good at giving advanced notice of any industrial disputes.

I'm pretty sure there haven't been any disturbances on the islands that you mention.

Apart from the army , no one has assault rifles.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

Hi. Please, please be assured that the islands are the same as they have always been ie warm, welcoming and as far as the visitor is concerned, very relaxed.

I can't speak about Athens as I haven't been there yet but have been on a few islands since the economic woes have hit Greece. The people have been the same lovely, hospitable people they always were.

Don't be worried, you will have a wonderful time. :O) :O)

Edited: 3:50 pm, March 25, 2013
Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

Ditto to that many good friends are in Greece a fantastic country and great hosts .

Vail, Colorado...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

Thank you all! We would mostly likely be there May 2-8th or 9th and someone mentioned that there could be strikes/disruptions over the Easter holiday of May 5th...any thoughts?

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

You will find that the Easter time is one of the special times for greek people so a lot of folks will want to be enjoying the feast and not working so just go with the flow and enjoy your selves and remember the old greek wisdom of siga siga i.e at a sedate pace slowly slowly

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,816 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

Strikes and disruptions for Easter will be unlikely. Most Greeks travel to their island or village of origin and are celebrating with their families and friends.

http://www.chiff.com/a/easter-greece.htm

http://www.greecetravel.com/easter/

Here is to give you an idea:

http://tinyurl.com/ddga86

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

The only problems you may find will be that ferries and buses will be booked up because so many people are travelling to their family home for Easter. As it is a time for families, some shops and restaurants may be closed. But it's a wonderful time to be in Greece and see or join in the processions and celebrations, especially midnight mass on Saturday.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,812 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to travel to Greek Islands?

Hi there

Please dont change your plans because you are concerned about social unrest - Greece is such a safe place to travel too ....and since the economic unrest in Greece the Greek people are even more friendly than they have ever been (if that is at all possible) .....we are off to Crete in a few weeks time, and will then be travelling to Corfu, Rhodes and then two more trips to Crete during this summer ...I cant wait to go back to this beautiful country :-) You will love it :-)