We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

I have tried unsuccessfully to get detailed info. re the above topic .All good info. is about ferries and the metro but little else. I even phoned several contact nos.,but they do not speak English. I hope you can help as the websites are useless.

Is this bus fairly reliable? Lenght of journey time? Any storage for LARGE suitcases? Does the bus have stops enroute and where?

On the return bus journey from Kalamata to Athens, where would you recommend a stopover?

Thank you

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

Is there a reason why you don't want to fly?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

The times & journey details have been posted several times on here before, but here's the timetable again,

Athens-Kalamata

05.45, 07.30,.08.45, 10.30(express), 11.30, 13.00(express), 14.00, 15.30, 16.30(express), 17.30, 19.00(express), 20.30(not Sats), 21.30(only Sats), 22.00(not Sats).

The ordinary buses make a comfort stop for 15-20 mins, usually at Tripoli, the Express bus has no stops between Kalamata & Athens. Takes about 3 hrs by Express, 4hrs on the ordinary bus.

Kalamata-Athens

04.45, 06.00(not Sat/Sun), 07.00(express), 09.00(express), 09.30(not Sats),10.30,11.30(express), 12.30, 14.00, 16.00(express), 17.00, 19.00, 22.00

The buses are very reliable, all luggage stored underneath (they are coaches), the ordinary bus stops en route to pick up/drop off wherever needed & has the break mentioned above, the Express does not stop at all.

A stopover on your return depends on what you like, Corinth is an obvious one, to see Ancient Corinth, maybe do a Corinth canal trip etc, it really depends on your preferences.

Alternatively you could take a bus from Kalamata-Pyrgos to visit Olympia, then a bus Pyrgos-Athens.

Edited: 12:51 pm, August 01, 2010
London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

Was not aware flights Athens to Kalamata were available.Can you tell me best site for advice.Thank you.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

Hey Tinsey,

I would fly when the offers are good, but too expensive most of the time! Depends when too, now only one flight a day outside the very high season, completely messed up my connection plans for a flight to Lesvos in September!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

Only flight option is with Aegean,

http://en.aegeanair.com/Default.aspx

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

Thank you Yiassas,

At last I can now plan our timetable and link air and bus timetables and at last relax. Do you happen to know approx. how much it costs and also the time it takes to get from airport to bus terminal A?

I waded through pages and pages of Trip Advisor for this advice and I do not know how I can shortcut direct to my topic.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

Airport to Terminal A (Kiffisou) takes just over an hour, €3.20. Buy a ticket at the kiosk by the bus stops right outside the terminal, from the driver if it's closed. Validate your ticket in the orange machine on board as soon as you get on to avoid a fine!

Tickets Athens-Kalamata €20 in May, as far as I know they haven't gone up again.

BTW, try various key words in the search box at the top of the forum, much info can be found, then ask for any missing details.

Happy planning!

Edited: 1:36 pm, August 01, 2010
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

>>I would fly when the offers are good, but too expensive most of the time!<<

Well, yeah, I'm not suggesting flying if it's too expensive but at the moment there are flights from as little as 50€. Granted it's twice as much as the bus, but you can be in Kalamata in less time than it takes to get to the coach terminal in Athens, and that's got to count for something!

Goes without saying that it's possible to fly to Kalamata direct from London and Manchester too.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

Hi there Yiassas,

I am actually trying to find out how to get from Kalamata, well Agios Nikolaos about 40km south of Kalamata, to Pyrgos so we can go to Olympia.

How is the best way of doing this by bus and how long does it take?

If you also know of any hotels in Olympia or the area I would be most grateful for the advice.

Many thanks,

Tom.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transport by bus Athens to Kalamata

I'm sure Yiassas can give you more information ; but from Agios Nikolaos take one of the buses from Areopoli to Kalamata (four a day?}

From Kalamata there two buses a day to Patras, which pass through Pyrgos.