We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

Manchester
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

Hi

Myself and my fiancee are trying to find a five star all inclusive hotel in greece or the greek islands - does anyone have any suggestions for our honeymoon next summer? We would like a really high standard but love the ease of all inclusive options

Thanks

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
1. Re: 5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

Wait while I duck, but check this one out. ;o)))

http://tinyurl.com/ylyxl5y

Manchester
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: 5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply - we will look into this as an option. Is anyone aware of any all inclusive resorts for adults only?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: 5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

Helen, you may have a hard time finding exactly what you want ... I myself have never stayed at an all-inclusive, but from postings on this forum I get the impression (perhaps mistaken) that many AI-seekers are looking to "low-ball" their holiday costs, being able to drink/eat with abandon and not pay a higher price than those who limit their intake. This outlook does not necessarily equate with 5-star "luxe" standards. Here in the USA, the all-u-can-eat buffet restaurants usually are Heavy (pun intended) on really starchy filling and cheap-to-cook foods, and attract families with voracious teenagers and/or seriously overweight people. Just sayin'.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: 5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

Hey and welcome Helen0077:-) Suggest taking a look at the properties on www.spg.com/ www.lhw.com/ You'll note that some of the bigger..or more popular isles..have the more exclusive properties like the ones in Elounda in Crete, etc., For the most part, you won't find All-Incl..believe Jan hit the nail on the head..in that those offers are more for the 'grab what you can' scenario and for the most part, drinks are limited, food can get pretty monotonous/bland, etc., so would look more for the b&b option..maybe halfboard IF available (although doubt it w/these properties) and take the time to venture out and explore wherever you are and experience the wonderful local cuisine via cafes, tavernas, restaurants;-) Let us know how it goes! Merry Christmas and happy planning..Enjoy!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,885 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: 5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

If you go for 5-star luxury this is most likely the closest you will get:

http://www.naxiancollection.com/new/

This meant as an example.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
6. Re: 5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

Another link with high end hotels (click on map of Greece); if you find something you like you can look up the actual website of the property:

http://www.jpmoser.com/

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
7. Re: 5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

Also, if you Google "adults only hotels Greece" you will get several possibilities, some of which are inclusive, and have reviews on TripAdvisor.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,302 posts
69 reviews
8. Re: 5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

Helen0077, are you hoping to find a 5+ AI resort along the lines of the high-end AI resorts in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean? If so, I'm afraid you won't have much of a selection to consider for your honeymoon in Greece. Though there are many top-tier luxury hotels all over Greece, it's just not a popular destination for all-inclusive resorts.

I can give you some suggestions to add to those already provided by others; however, I haven't stayed at any of the properties myself, so I can't tell you first-hand whether they offer five-star quality and services.

The Aldemar luxury hotel group advertises one AI property on Crete, the Cretan Village, and two on Rhodes: the Paradise Mare and the Paradise Village. Further information about the chain and these properties is available on the company website -- http://www.aldemarhotels.com/default.asp -- and of course you can research traveller reviews about those hotels here on TA.

Within 60 km of Athens I'm aware of two AI hotels, but they are billed as only 4* in a tour package brochure published by a Canadian charter travel company. They are the Kinetta Beach Resort and Spa in Kinetta -- http://www.kinettabeach.com/en/index.php -- and the Eden Beach Resort in Anavyssos -- http://www.eden.gr/an/

There also are some higher-end hotels in Greece that are "almost" all-inclusive, offering two meals daily (breakfast and dinner) but not typically including alcoholic beverages in their AI packages. Harmony Resorts describes three Greek hotel properties at their website: http://www.harmonyresorts.gr/en/HR_Home.php

I am personally familiar with one of those hotels, the Rodos Palladium at Kallithea, Rhodes. When we stayed there in 2004, the room packages included breakfast and dinner each day, both of which were buffet meals (though dinner also included featured main dish selections from a special daily menu, served by waiters and waitresses). As is so often the case with an all-inclusive resort, however, the food was nothing to rave about -- it was OK, but not wonderful -- and apart from a few traditional, local desserts did not include much in the way of authentic Greek fare. The hotel and its grounds were quite nice, but we didn't think the Palladium was anywhere near a five-star property, and definitely didn't offer five-star service. That was over five years ago, though, and perhaps things have since changed for the better. Check recent reviews to find out.

Some other Rhodes hotels that offer "almost" all-inclusive packages (i.e. breakfast and dinner included in the room rate) are Rodos Palace in Ixia, The Mediterranean near Rhodes Town, Eden Roc Resort Hotel & Bungalows at Reni Koskinou, and Olympic Palace at Ixia. Those properties are billed as just four or four-plus stars, though, and I'm afraid I can't offer any personal knowledge about any of them.

On Crete, the Silva Beach at Hersonissos is billed as all-inclusive, but only 4*. Some other hotels offering either two or three meals daily include the Neptuno Beach Resort at Amoudara, the Grand Hotel Holiday Resort at Hersonissos, the Apollonia Beach at Amoudara, and Movenpick Resort & Thalasso near Heraklion-Amoudara (the latter of which is billed as five-star). It seems the Movenpick property is the former Candia Maris resort, where we stayed for three days in 2004; I wrote a review of that hotel, and my review now appears in the reviews for the Movenpick Resort. In 2004 the hotel was nowhere near even four-star quality, but perhaps Movenpick has made substantial improvements since taking over management of the resort. You would have to check recent reviews to determine that.

Though I'm a fan of AI resorts for winter sun vacations to the Caribbean area, I wholeheartedly advise against even considering an AI for a honeymoon in Greece. In my opinion, AI is definitely not the way to experience Greece. You will enjoy your honeymoon on the islands or the mainland much, much more if you venture away from huge chain hotels to experience the wonderful food, ambience and character of traditional Greek tavernas, villages and historic sites.

Travelerjan: I think your impression about AIs is indeed mistaken and your post reflects some inaccurate stereotypes about AI resorts. Although AIs are highly popular because of their relatively reasonable prices and especially their convenience, they typically attract generally the same types of people you will find at non-inclusive hotels throughout Greece. Sure, there will be *some* people who will over-drink and over-eat because of the enticing all-you-can-eat and -drink options. But in my experience those "buffoons," if you will, constitute a small minority of the total resort guest population. I have seen just as many drunks and just as many "seriously overweight people" at hotels in Santorini, Naxos, Mykonos and Crete and other places in Greece as I have at any of the AI resorts I have visited in the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico. (I didn't see any drunks at a five-star AI resort in Mexico two weeks ago, and saw only three people who had overimbibed at another five-star in Dominican Republic in January.) Five-star can equate with "luxe," though I will agree that it's rare to find buffet food achieving five-star quality.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: 5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

Donnyb, I said that I might be mistaken about A-I places in Greece, and that my impressions were only drawn from postings on this forum. And my description of people (hungry teens etc) referred specifically to those I see going to AMERICAN all-you-can-eat buffets. What I guess all of us agree upon is that hotels with a 5-star level of luxury standards are almost never all-inclusive. I hope this couple finds a lovely compromise.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
10. Re: 5 star all inclusive for honeymoon - any suggestions?

DonnyB hit the nail right on the head with this concise paragraph;

"Though I'm a fan of AI resorts for winter sun vacations to the Caribbean area, I wholeheartedly advise against even considering an AI for a honeymoon in Greece. In my opinion, AI is definitely not the way to experience Greece. You will enjoy your honeymoon on the islands or the mainland much, much more if you venture away from huge chain hotels to experience the wonderful food, ambiance and character of traditional Greek tavernas, villages and historic sites."

Couldn't agree more, by all means go for an upmarket hotel, but you'll miss out big time on a huge part of the Greek Experience if you go AI, not to mention, restricting yourself to a very small subset of all the fine hotels and places in Greece. If you want a pampered luxury 5 star AI complex, nothing wrong with that all, but look at the Carribean or Far East instead.

Edited: 6:54 pm, December 21, 2009