We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Star Ferries - what is the difference in seat types?

San Diego
1 post
Save Topic
Blue Star Ferries - what is the difference in seat types?

Hello!

I need to book a ferry departing from Athens (Piraeus)to Santorini. I am checking online with Blue Star Ferries and noticed all the different seat types and pricing. Can someone please explain the differences to me? Also, which is the most comfortable seating for an 8 hour venture?

These are the seats listed on the website:

ECONOMY 33.50

BUSINESS CLASS (SEAT) 47.00

AIR SEATS LOUNGE-1 37.50

AIR SEATS LOUNGE-2 37.50

AIR SEATS LOUNGE-3 37.50

AIR SEATS LOUNGE-4 37.50

AIR SEATS LOUNGE-5 37.50

CABIN Α4 (4-berth outside) 72.00

Is there a place to store luggage if you want to walk around?

Thanks so much! :)

Christine

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Star Ferries - what is the difference in seat types?

Here's why it's important, Sea Maiden, to give enough facts, like WHEN are you traveling? And are you going straight from the airport to the ferry? Or staying in Athens a couple days first?

Why? Because unless you are going in August, there is no need to book way ahead, from the USA. The Blue Star Paros and Blue Star Naxos, which go to Santorini, accommodate about 1,400 people... the Blue Star1 & 2, about 1,000 each. You can buy your ticket the day of, or the day before. If u are going straight from the Airport, in the next 10 days, and want piece of mind, I suggest you book your ticket online (using credit card) from one of the 2 travel agencies that have airport branches open 24/7. Pacific Travel or Amphitrion. Pick the ticket up as you leave the airport; they wil probably charge a 2€ convenience fee. Otherwise, just buy tickets at any ticket agency right by the dock, OR the Blue Star office about 100 yards from the B.S. dock, at the prices shown. Prices are govt. regulated. Now, for the ticket differences.

"ECONOMY" is the basic, formerly called "DECK fare" ... entitles you to a white plastic armchair (first come first served) on the upper deck, or a seat in one of the "cafe" areas on either floor, or seats along the corridors. If the ship is not very full, you can buy this "plain vanilla" ticket, and when u get tired of sitting outside on plastic, you can go into one of the "aircraft lounge" areas, and sit down: seats are numbered, upholstered, leanback, a/c. No one stops you, only thing is, if someone has reserved that seat , they can come along and uproot you. Again, if the boat's less than full, you just move to the next seat.

"AIR LOUNGE" - used to be called Economy Reserved. If it's a busy travel day (Friday on a summer or holiday weekend) it's wise to spend the extra 4.50. You don't have to sit in this seat the whole time... you can roam the ferry, sit on deck in a plastic chair. Then, when you want to rest/snooze etc, you can come in & be assured of a rserved numbered seat. On Blue star Paros AK 1 & 2 are smaller side areas (2 seats each side of aisle) with no thru traffic; quiet. They were 2 of the nonsmoking areas -- now, I hear, all inside areas are nonsmoking. Next -best: 3 & 5. NOTE: If you book ahead, u can't specify sections like this. PS -- Always have a sweater in your daybag even in July -- Blue Star cranks the A/c HIGH.

BUS. - has tables or something; I never bothered with them; CABINS - only relevant on an o'nite sailing.

LUGGAGE - Right inside the door, in the large door-level "car" space, to Rt & Left is steel shelving u put your bags on.You carry your "daybag" up the steps with u of course (w. money, cameras, valuables), but u leave your big roll-y bag with clothes on a shelf. No lock-up or receipt but no big deal -- petty theft is not part of the Greek culture. Other bags will pile atop yours but Santorini's the last stop so that's OK.

2. Re: Blue Star Ferries - what is the difference in seat types?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:30 am, February 21, 2010