We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islands to visit in Greece.

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Islands to visit in Greece.

Hi There,

My Husband and I are planning a trip to Greece for the first time in Aug/Sept 2019 (I know, I know, maybe a bit early ;) but it is on my bucket list for years. And we will be celebrating our 20 wedding anniversary.

We are arriving in Athens on Aug 29 and leaving in the morning of Aug 31 to Skopelos where we are planning to spend 4 days from Aug 31 to Sept 4. From there we are planning to go to Paros and stay for 5 days from Sept 4 to sept 9. We want to take one day to visit Mykonos (1 day trip) and also explore Antiparos. Then go to Santorini on Sept 10 for just for 2 days Sept 10 and 11. On Sept 12 go to Milos and stay there until sept 15.

Is this plan too ambitious ? Also how easy is it to get the ferry from one island to another?

Thank you so much in advance.

Fernanda

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Antiparos
Antiparos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
3 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,936 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islands to visit in Greece.

Hi Fernanda,

and welcome to the forum.

When island hopping please note that even if distances between islands don't look far every time you get up and move the best part of one day will be lost from your itinerary (you shall pack\unpack, check out and in of hotels, transport to and from ports, some waiting time in ports, time for embarking\disembarking and the actual time used for the journey).

You will also have to adjust to the ferry schedules departure time. Often there is only one or two ferries daily between the destinations – even in main season.

Hopping between different island groups will be time consuming. Most likely you have to go via Athens (Piraeus).

Also take into consideration that staying anywhere for 2 nights will only equal one full day.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islands to visit in Greece.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189…

This is the link from first page of this forum.

It explains the ferry routes and you need to consider it before deciding which islands to visit.

Generally it s best to include islands that are close to each other so Skopelos does not fit in with the rest of your proposed itinerary.

Naxos would be an alternative.

You need to look at the order in which you propose to visit the islands and methods of transport ( you may want to fly to/ from islands from Athens at start/ end of your trip).

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Islands to visit in Greece.

Hi Greek-traveler,

Thank you so much to take the time and reply to my request.

Your suggestions make sense, and we agree with you. We will come back another time for Skopelos.

Best regards,

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
Reply to: Islands to visit in Greece.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;