We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The worst country on the Earth

1 post
1 review
The worst country on the Earth

I am leaving Athens today cannot wait, I have travelled about 40 countries in my li lifetime. This place is the pitts. I am 75 years old, within 24 hours I was asked to find other accommodation, booked in a private home, robbed of 120.00 euro, and not by Romans but by Greeks, taking to a Police station that was closed and charged 5.00 euro for a minute ride,another taxi to another Police station, the police really did not want to know and only gave a report form after being prompted, I suppose they get so many reports they must be running out of paper.. Every building is deface with graffiti, the pavements are a health hazard you cannot look at anything as if you are not looking where you are walking you are likely to fall on your face. DO NOT DO NOT go the Athens if you are in a wheelchair, hardly any ramps, so the chair or walker would need to be lifted, bikes and cars park leaving no space for a chair or walker to cross the road, this place is a complete disaster. Yet all the Greeks I have spoken blame it on the Romanians, yes there was Romanians around, but there not a single one near me when my wallet was stolen, just a well dressed Greek no doubt from stealing who distracted me while his partners stole my wallet. I would not recommend anyone to visit Athens it is a city dying.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
8,201 posts
76 reviews
56 helpful votes
1. Re: The worst country on the Earth

Sorry you have had a bad experience, I hope you feel better now you have got all that off your chest. I'm in Athens right now and enjoying it a lot.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,974 posts
2. Re: The worst country on the Earth

I was enjoying Athens last week for the second time. Enjoyed it so much I am on my way back there tomorrow & again next week. Would not do for us all to like the same things or places but it is not our remit to tell anyone else to avoid a place so vehemently! Your rant will have failed because everyone will be glad to visit a place & not find themselves sharing space with such anger.

MANCHESTER
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: The worst country on the Earth

Sorry to hear of your demise and hope getting things off your chest has helped. I love Athens and always will, its a wonderful city.

I had a bad experience in Prague, but still love the city ....

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
32 reviews
38 helpful votes
4. Re: The worst country on the Earth

In my experience, Athens is one of the most enjoyable cities in the world despite its shortcomings. It remains so despite the crushing austerity which has ravaged the economy and brought massive unemployment with the worst effects being felt in the cities. This is what has brought the graffiti, lack of maintenance etc. Because there is no money to do anything about it.

Give me a living breathing vibrant city like Athens over a stupefyingly dull city like Venice any day of the week.

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands, Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
808 reviews
313 helpful votes
5. Re: The worst country on the Earth

Loretta, I am sorry you had an awful experience in Athens.

However there is a lot more to Greece than Athens and it is very unfair to describe it as the worst country on earth.

I would advise you to return to this one of the many fantastic islands and I am sure you would have a fantastic time.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
15,905 posts
29 reviews
45 helpful votes
6. Re: The worst country on the Earth

I agree with Nick Athens is not representative of other parts of Greece and it's islands who give you a warm welcome. I have read lots of reports on here about Athens and it is not a place on my list to go to.

Sorry Venice dull where did that come from ?

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
28 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: The worst country on the Earth

Oh dear Loretta, I am so sorry that you have had a bad experience in Athens but you have been a member of Trip Advisor since December 2010 and, by your own account, are widely travelled and yet you choose for your first post to denigrate a whole country based on one unfortunate experience. I urge you to return to Greece soon, when, despite your harsh words, you will be welcomed by the wonderful Greek people and will enjoy what is, probably, the BEST country on Earth!

Vrsac, Serbia
Level Contributor
340 posts
30 reviews
25 helpful votes
8. Re: The worst country on the Earth

I am sorry for Loretta, but something like that can happen anywhere .

I have been visiting Greece for the last 30 years, every year, 2-3 times a year, and my heart is always there, even if I am not. I am not Greek, by the way. I always feel more then welcome.

Athens is a big city, with all the good things and the bad things you can expect in such a big city. For the good ones, I keep coming back again and again. The view from Areopagus, the silence of the Agora, people drinking coffee along Adrianou, loukoumades on Monastiraki...priceless. The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Edited: 4:27 am, April 20, 2018
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
182 reviews
95 helpful votes
9. Re: The worst country on the Earth

Well said to all the previous posts !

Things happen to people that aren't good and when you are in a different country that also is probably not your own and with a different home language then things often seem worse. Different ways of doing things (eg Police and law) may seem just too alien to some people.

But that is what makes Greece so great it's DIFFERENT but in a good way.

Loretta - I hope you find it possible to go back to Greece and her islands where you will find some of the kindest people on the planet, who will trust you to pay the next day if you forget your wallet, give you an umbrella to shelter you from a sudden downpour and give you a lift back if they pass you in their car......

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
9,046 posts
27 reviews
40 helpful votes
10. Re: The worst country on the Earth

Very harsh to call a country the worst on the Earth for a bad experience in just 1 city.