We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

We want to watch a Professional football game while in Portugal, and I discovered that there's a FC Porto Vs Benfica match at Estadio do Dragao stadium on Sun, May 11.

1) Can I buy the football tickets right before the game starts?

2) If yes, when should we be there? The game supposedly start at 8pm but may change, according to the official website.

3) Will the gift shop still be open on Sunday night? I want to pick up a memorabilia while there.

4) Apparently Viagogo is the official ticket reseller for foreigners, and they are selling Section 47, Row 23 tickets for US$50 + fees. Is this a good seat for the price?

Thanks in advance!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,671 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

That's a classic match on the last weekend of the season, it's probable that it will sold out very quickly, mainly because the fans (they have preference) will want to buy them (specially if Benfica is going to be champion, they will love to "celebrate" that on "enemy" territory). Try to buy tickets at the clubs websites only not to a third party. I don't think that an "official" reseller exists.

You have several FCP stores around the city where you can buy memorabilia fcporto.pt/pt/…onde-estamos.aspx

Porto
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

1) is better not, it's an important game and the tickets may end up quickly

2) buy the tickets before, see www.fcporto.pt

3) no problem, FC Porto Stadium Store is open before and after the games

4) is a good seat, section 47 is "arquibancada", see the stadium map fcporto.pt/pt/…planta.aspx

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
591 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

1) You should buy tickets advanced, it will surely sell out.

2) You should arrive at the stadium about 1h before the match starts, especially if you don't know your way around. This will give you time to enter calmly, find your spot, go to the bathroom, buy a beer and enjoy the atmosphere before the game starts.

3) It is open whenever there are games in the stadium.

4) If you can buy them on FC Porto's website, this would be better. But as for the prices, and due to the match's importance, I don't think you can get a lower price than that.

Benfica fans will stay in the Coca-Cola stand, sections S22, S23 and S24. If possible, get a seat a few sections away, because it is a high risk game and skirmishes are always likely, especially if Benfica comes as near champion or champion.

Have a nice trip and enjoy the game!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,977 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

1 ) tickets for these big games are often reserved for members only, on police orders. There has been trouble at some recent games. If any tickets do go on sale to the general public this may not be until a few days before the game. I would NOT be tempted to buy from agencies etc even Viagogo!

2) The kickoff time will not be confirmed until perhaps a week in advance. If there is to be a two way race for the championship and as this is the final game day of the season, there could be an order to play at the same time as Sporting plays Estoril. Whatever happens, the game will not be at 4pm as currently on the official league website..

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

Thanks, all. I have to confess I am still confused.

I was on the English version of the FC Porto website, and I didn't find anywhere to purchase tickets online.

On the other hand, I found this:

fcporto.pt/en/noticias/Pages/viagogo-torna-s…

"viagogo, an international ticket sales company, responsible for the world’s largest ticket marketplace, reached an agreement with FC Porto to become an official partner of the club, in this field of action. The site www.viagogo.com will help the Dragons in promoting the international sale of tickets and simplify the collection of the ticket at Estádio do Dragão."

So the consensus is that I should try buying the tickets in advance. But where and how?

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
591 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

Since the game is only in May, the tickets may not yet be at sale in FC Porto's website. They usually are put to sale in a date closer to the game.

However, if Viagogo is stated in FC Porto's site as an oficial partner, then no reason to believe there's anything wrong with it.

If you want to compare prices, check here:

ticketbis.com.pt/bilhetes-porto-benfica/ev40…

Cheers!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,671 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

FCPorto page has the selling tickets option available only in the portuguese version, at the moment they are selling tickets for the european cup match. That agreement is probably meant mainly for the international games, the national games never sell out (except the classics with Benfica and Sporting and even those sometimes don't).

Porto
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

According to FCP information by phone, so far there is still no detailed information about the day and hour of the game. Normally the Portuguese Football Federation informs the clubs 2-3 weeks before the game. Is better to wait and in mid of April to check the FCP site for more details.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

You guys have all been awesome! (I presume everyone who have replied is male. If not, my apologies.)

May I ask what are the official colours for FC Porto and Benfica? We want to fly under the radar in case we end up in a heated area of the stadium.

So you are saying that the game date can even be moved up a few weeks? As long as the game falls on the same weekend (May 10-11), we will be fine ...

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
591 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Football game: May 11, FC Porto Vs Benfica

No, the game will be held on this weekend because it's the last championship weekend. It's the hour of the game that is only known a few weeks before. If anything, the game could be moved to Saturday, but normally last games are held on Sunday.

The offcial colours are blue and white for FC Porto, red for Benfica.

Cheers!