We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Erze (?) wine - can anyone tell me the full name?

S G
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
333 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Erze (?) wine - can anyone tell me the full name?

On a recent visit to Portugal I had an absolutely delicious wine in a restaurant on our final evening - probably the nicest wine I've ever had! I was very impressed to say I chose it pretty much at random from the menu. It was our last evening and we had an early start in the morning, otherwise I'd have had a look in a few shops and tried to find a couple of bottles to take home with me. I know it's a slim chance, but I'm hoping I might be able to find somewhere in the UK that sells it - only problem is, I've searched online and absolutely nothing is coming up so I don't know if I'm remembering the name wrong. I've looked at the menu on the restaurant's website but it isn't listed, so I don't know if their online menu is out of date.

It was a white wine and the name was something like Erze/Erza. I'm pretty sure it was from Douro, but it could have been from Alentejo (all of the wines on the menu were from one of these regions so it was definitely one of these). Has anyone heard of it and could tell me the correct full name? I've searched for all combinations of "vinho branco/douro/alentejo/quinto/erze/erza" without success, so I'll be really pleased if someone can tell me the right name.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Erze (?) wine - can anyone tell me the full name?

Was it Monte Ermos, a Douro? The easiest would be to get in touch with the restaurant and ask them?

S G
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
333 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Erze (?) wine - can anyone tell me the full name?

No, it was definitely something like Erze with a Z - I remember because I wasn't sure how to pronounce the Z in Portuguese, I knew it's not like the Spanish Z but couldn't remember if it's a 'z' or 'sh' sound. Whatever I said, I pronounced it wrong and the waiter corrected me :-)

I will email the restaurant if I can't find out the name, I just didn't want to bother them if someone on here happened to recognise it. Thanks anyway!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Erze (?) wine - can anyone tell me the full name?

You could play with this link: www.infovini.com/pagina.php?codNode=18008

I'm sure the restaurant won't mind at all receiving your email.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,535 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Erze (?) wine - can anyone tell me the full name?

From the Douro with such a short name I only remember EVEL (they have white wines).

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Erze (?) wine - can anyone tell me the full name?

Could it be 'Vinha da Urze'? …blogspot.pt/2014/02/vinha-da-urze-reserva-2…

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Erze (?) wine - can anyone tell me the full name?

That makes sense, good find Jose S!

They sell them in Marks & Spencer.

S G
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
333 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Erze (?) wine - can anyone tell me the full name?

Oh yes! Jose, you are a star! Urze, not Erze. Fabulous! Now to see if it's for sale anywhere locally.

I'm really happy!

8. Re: Erze (?) wine - can anyone tell me the full name?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, February 28, 2015