We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advise on northern portugal

9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
advise on northern portugal

My wife and 3 children aged 2,5 and 10 are going to Viana do Castelo for 2 weeks on the 6th July, and I am looking for advise on what to see and where to go, and what to do when based in Viana. Are there any childrens things we should look out for? what beaches are good in this area, where are good places to eat. What other places outside Viana should we visit, we have a hired car and don't mind travelling. All info greatly received.

14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: advise on northern portugal

Hello, im not from Viana but I do know somethings:

beaches : afife , moledo, vila praia de ancora

To visit:

The santuary of Santa Luzia- in the center of Viana

Oporto - porto wine cellars ( I recomend Ramos Pinto and Ferreira)

Clérigos Tower, a 6 bridge cruise, Palacio da Bolsa, there is great things to see and don´t forget to taste our famous Francesinha!

Braga - sanctuary of Bom Jesus, there is a water elevator that take you to the top of the mountain

santcuary of Sameiro

Guimaraes - the city nest of Portugal - dont miss the Castle and the House of Duches

These are the main cities in the Northern Portugal we can find more information over here : www.adeturn.pt

I hope you and you're family enjoy Portugal

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advise on northern portugal

We just spent two nights there. Liked the town very much. Beware, there is a fair amount of construction going on right now, on the main drag along the water, so make sure you know where your hotel is situated.

I can't comment much on what the kids can do, but I think the big thing will be the beaches. I believe there's a ferry that goes across from the town to a beach across the river, kids always love ferries. The fishing docks also hold some interest, I'm sure. There's a food market every morning, and a big flea market once a week (Friday?), down by the water. There's also an old castle to climb around, and the catholic temple up on the mountain.

There are lots of nice restaurants in the old town, and lots of cafes for snacks.

We also drove up to Vila Praia de Ancora, which also has a big beach, and has the feel of a beach resort. There is an ancient dolmen there, standing stones, in the middle of a field.

Further up there is Caminho, a town which has a very pretty old centre, nice for strolling around.

If you are ambitious, you can drive east, up into the mountains, where every inch of land is covered with vines, very pretty. We did not make it as far as the national park, Geres, but next time I would love to do that.

3. Re: advise on northern portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 16, 2009