We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to get from Porto (Rua Comércio do Porto) to the ocean, specifically Matosinhos? What is the train number? And can I take a train from Sao Bento? I am looking to get to the ocean and walk around a Portuguese beach town. Thank you for any help or suggestions you can give?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

Take the train from Coimbroes to Sao Bento, a 17 min. ride.

Then take the yellow metro line (direction Hospital de S. João) and get off at the 2nd stop "Trinidade". Switch to the blue metro line (direction Senior de Matosinhos) and get off at Matosinhos Sul. It's only a 7 min. walk to the beach.

Train: www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

Metro: http://www.metrodoporto.pt/en/

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,939 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

It's nice beach at Matosinhos, a big wide promenade walk and visit 'Cheese Castle'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queijo_Castle

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,353 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

"I am looking to get to the ocean and walk around a Portuguese beach town" - I hardly call Matosinhos a beach town... A fishing and comercial harbor...

Rua Comércio do Porto, close to rua Nova Alfândega? If you want a great walk by the ocean take the tram that goes to Foz do Douro and walk till Castelo do Queijo. www.stcp.pt/en/tourism/porto-tram-city-tour/

4. Re: From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:59 pm, April 18, 2013
San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

Thanks for the responses!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

Double check where you are staying. There's Rua Comércio do Porto (like you said) and there's Rua do Comércio do Porto.

If it's the latter you will indeed be in the historical centre.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

Is there anyone in Porto who can confirm this location is near the river? Rua Comércio do Porto, 4200 Porto, Portugal.

Looking on Maps the street name comes up Rua O Comécio do Porto. Is the location above the area near Sao Bento station? There seems to be the same street name across the river, as well. Hope a local can help me with this. Thanks!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

They both have 4200 Porto coding. I guess you are staying in a hotel or with someone?

Check the address again, maybe through white pages: http://www.pbi.pai.pt/

Or give us more info?

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

Don't worry, across the river is not Porto, it's Vila Nova de Gaia and it wouldn't have the 4200 Porto postal code.

Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Porto to the beach (Matosinhos)

I would take the 64novpt suggestion. You will be close to Infante, where you can take the tram n.º 1 to Foz do Douro (Where the Douro meets the Atlantic). It's a very scenic route in an old wooden tram. From Foz do Douro walk, along the coast, to Castelo do Queijo (Cheese Castle).