We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP: 1 night in Porto

Brazil
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
HELP: 1 night in Porto

Hello

My husband and I will spend 1 night in Porto in January as part of our flight back from Barcelona to Brazil. We arrive at the Airport at around 7PM and leave 7AM in the following morning.

Despite the short staying, we would like to make the most of it. We are thinking that it would be good to spend the night in a reasonably priced hotel (not fancy, no need) in a nice region, so that we could take a stroll in some streets and have dinner at a nice restaurant (good red wine). Any suggestions on which region of the city should we stay? Or perhaps a hotel/restaurant recommendation?

We have never been to Porto before. One concern I have is with transportation to the airport early morning. How long would a taxi take to drive us there? Any idea of how much would it cost?

Thanks a lot.

Jussara

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP: 1 night in Porto

Hi.

You really don't have very much time and it would be a shame to come to Porto and not see the famous waterfront. So although it is a bit "touristy" I would probably suggest staying at somewhere like the Pestana, Carris Ribeira or the Intercontinental (expensive) n the heart of the old town. You can check prices and reviews on the hotel page.

You will definitely need to use taxis, which should take about 30 minutes to and from the airport and should cost about €20 to €25.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP: 1 night in Porto

I suggest a very short visit combined with a central hotel. This way you can go from/to airport by taxi but also by metro (much cheaper).

7pm arrival airport

8ish pm city centre - stay at Palácio Cardosas if you prefer fancy or at Ibis Porto centre for a balanced budget.

From Aliados go to Santa Catarina street and have dinner at "Escondidinho" or "Abadia" for a taste of regional food (both street Passos Manuel, see a map). Then go straight to Ribeira, stroll around and cross the river to Gaia side for a drink or a coffee overlooking Porto banks.

I don't think there's much more you can fit in. But I am sure after a few hour you will promise to come back some day!

Sofia

Brazil
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP: 1 night in Porto

An option my husband suggested was to stay at Park Hotel nearby the airport so that we could sleep a bit more in the morning and then go to the city by metro (airport metro station is very close) and return by taxi.

What do you guys think? Do you see any inconvenience? Is it easy to get a taxi downtown Thursday late night?

Thanks a lot

Jussara

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP: 1 night in Porto

It is indeed a great option!

Brazil
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP: 1 night in Porto

Thanks to both of you who replied to me. Great suggestions!

Jussara

6. Re: HELP: 1 night in Porto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, December 20, 2012
7. Re: HELP: 1 night in Porto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 20, 2013