We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Douro Valley versus Guiamares (nervous driver)

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Douro Valley versus Guiamares (nervous driver)

We are renting a car and going to Porto, Viana de Castello, and Guiamares each for two days and Amarante for one day. I am a nervous passenger.

Should I substiture the Douro Valley for Guiamares, or will we be able to visit the Douro from Porto or Guiamares? We do like wine and beauty. Where in the Douro, if so?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Douro Valley versus Guiamares (nervous driver)

Your post is a bit confusing, would you say both the driver and the passenger are nervous? Maybe go by public transportation only?

You can see Guimaraes in less than a day so the next day you can drive up to Regua (1 hour and 15 min.) and stay there. In Regua you can take boat trips on the Douro river and visit some wineries around. Or you take the train to Pocinho and back, it goes all the way along the river.

Hope that helps.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,183 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Douro Valley versus Guiamares (nervous driver)

Are you going to stay 2 days in Viana and 2 days in Guimarães? Then 1 day in Amarante? When staying at Amarante go till Régua and as said above take a cruise or the train along the river.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Douro Valley versus Guiamares (nervous driver)

Thanks. I am a nervous passenger. The driver is not so nervous. Thanks for the help. Do you need advance reservatiions for train or cruise along river or can i just book from Regua? The options to go from Guiamares or Amarante sound better than going to the Douro from Porto.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Douro Valley versus Guiamares (nervous driver)

You don't say when you will be traveling.

If you will be there before mid-october, and on a Saturday, there's a historical train leaving from Regua:

www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

Otherwide the normal train schedule will apply and I don't think you will need to book in advance.

For the cruises, there are a few local companies, you could have a look when you're over there, or reserve through this website:

http://www.viadouro-cruzeiros.com/en/cruises/

Hope that helps.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Douro Valley versus Guiamares (nervous driver)

There's no need to be nervous for the drive from Porto into the Douro Valley. It's very relaxed, although sometimes the road is winding. But it never gets crowded, at least when we were there. We drove upto Pinhão. Would have loved to drive further but our time was limited.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Douro Valley versus Guiamares (nervous driver)

Thank you for your replies. We will be travelling in September. The road from Guiamares or Amarente to Pinhao is also not so scary?

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Douro Valley versus Guiamares (nervous driver)

I don't think the road conditions are much different. We also took the slow roads following the Douro all the time. From Amarante it's much shorter and you will be too amazed by the beauty of the area to be frightened.

8. Re: Douro Valley versus Guiamares (nervous driver)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 21, 2013