We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porto to Lisbon (Cascais) by Train

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Porto to Lisbon (Cascais) by Train

Hi I am travelling from Porto to Lisbon to spend 6 days in Cascais.

Looks like 4 hrs in total travel time. so looking for some advice on whether its is best to travel 1st class (quieter?) or 2nd, and having a meal on board, quality of food, typical costs of menu, and is there wifi on trains. Is AP or IC best for this journey.

family of 3 moody teenager!

Thanks

N

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porto to Lisbon (Cascais) by Train

You will often read that the first class is not worth it but I paid about 12 euro more for the that journey and it was very comfortable and quiet. A meal is not offered but you do get one free drink and that was nice. It was just very pleasant and I am glad that I paid the extra money.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,937 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porto to Lisbon (Cascais) by Train

I can add that there is no wifi on the trains. AP is a little faster than IC but more expensive. AP 1st class (Conforto) has power sockets at some of the seats for your various devices.

When you book on line (reservations are compulsory for all Porto - Lisbon trains) you can choose your seat(s) from a carriage layout plan which includes the location of power points.

The trains from Lisbon (Cais do Sodré station) are suburban trains. No first class.

You will need to take the metro from Lisbon Santa Apolonia to Cais do Sodre to bridge the gap between the two lines. Separate tickets are needed for the metro.

Edited: 7:12 am, August 05, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porto to Lisbon (Cascais) by Train

The main difference between AP and IC is that the first it's quicker because it has less stops. I think it's preferable to pay the difference between AP and IC but not from 2nd to 1st. I've travelled many times on both (work travels) and I really don't think that is not worth to pay the difference. The meals are at the bar and IMO they that are too expensive and the journey is too small to worth paying for it.

uk
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Porto to Lisbon (Cascais) by Train

Thanks for your replies, we are going to try the AP, we give the meals a try and let you know,

5. Re: Porto to Lisbon (Cascais) by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Porto