We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping

Not my favourite passtime! I try to spend my time getting to know the place that I’m visiting rather than whiling away my time in the shops, but is there anything in particular that I should consider bringing home from Porto (other than the obvious – Port?).

I’ve heard that the ceramic ware is lovely (although iffy to get home in one piece on a transatlantic flight….) Shoes and other leathergoods have been mentioned. Is there anything remarkable and/or indigenous that I should seek out in Porto? I'd like to say that price is no object, but that wouldn't be entirely true... Let's just say if it's unique, notable or uncommon, I don't mind paying for it accordingly.

Thanks very much for any opinions you are kind enough to share. By honing options down, my shopping is sure to be more efficient!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

If you fall in love with the unique character of Porto as I did (but well, it s my home town, I know) you may consider buying a beautiful inexpensive "charcoal like drawing" of the landscape of Porto as seen from Gaia - beatiful to have in a library or attic. When I bought them for me or friends visiting Porto I go to an old kiosk (I don't remember the name) but it is the last one at left when you go all the way down Clerigos' street.

Sofia

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

Try some golden "filigrana", very typical from northern Portugal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUphz-WVgE

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

Spectacular! Thank you! Exactly the sort of suggestion I was hoping for. I'll do some research.

And Sofia, a charcoal or pen and ink drawing is a wonderful idea too.

I appreciate the thoughts.

4. Re: Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 am, June 21, 2013