We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
denver
6 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

We will visit Portugal for the first time in mid May 2012, arriving in Porto and leaving from Lisbon and would appreciate suggestions for our itinerary. We are interested in Portuguese culture and every day life as well as seeing the traditional sights. Also enjoy the countryside and beaches. Moderate budget, very active.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

By car or public transports?

visitportugal.com/Cultures/en-US/default.html

visitporto.travel/Visitar/…default.aspx

www.turismodecoimbra.pt/index.php?lang=en

rt-leiriafatima.pt/site/…default.aspx

Devon UK
Level Contributor
236 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

I did a very similar trip recently.

Start with a day or two to see Porto, lovely city. Cruise on the Douro.

Take the train to Pinhao for the day, the heart of the Port Country, one of the most beautiful train rides in the world. Or drive there and stay overnight,suggest Casa Cimeira, its truly special. From there, we also visited Chaves, lovely city, plenty to see.

Head south via Peso de Regua and Lamego, both worth a stop. You can stay in Viseu, there are some amazing walks and drives around there,,, if you want more detailed info get back to me.

Drift south and if you like mountains and views, try the drive from Lousa to Castanheira de Pera. Stunning.- you look down on eagles!!

From there we headed for the coast and stopped off at Batlaha to look at the Gothic Architecture, then Alcobaca for the beautiful old monastery and overnight at Nazare, very Portuguese coastal resort/old fishing village.

Obidos. both the old walled town itself and the lagoon are worth a day at least, and we really love Foz do Arelho, little coastal town with a real cool feel to it. - drive around the lagoon and walk in the forest or access the beach the other side of the lagoon (near Praia del Rey or Bom Successo) and you can walk for miles on empty beaches.

From there, depending on time or inclination, you can drift on down the coast to Lisbon via the trendy resort of Cascais, and the rather touristy but interesting Sintra, or head inland and visit Evora, main city of the Alantejo and well worth a visit in its own right as it has some splendid architecture and a 'feel' all of its own. Pkus the local wines are fab. . End up with a day or two in Lisbon.

Your only problem is you need 20 days, not 10.

Montreal
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

Thank you. We have 19 days, but is it possible to do all this by public transport?

denver
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

Thank you! You made some suggestions we haven't considered and I will research. We will probably use both public transport (train) and rent a car. We are also considering Braga, Guimarães, Fatima and the Algarve. I am concerned we will spread ourselves too thin. My husband loves beaches. Is the Algarve the best place to see?

We definitely want to go into the Douro valley and I've seen suggestions to cruise one way and take the train to return. Is that possible? If so, can you make a recommendation?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

If you really want to explore outside the cities a car it's important.

Arriving to Porto I would suggest you to visit the city by public transports, rent the car when you decide to go inland, keep it to explore all the way to Lisboa and drop it off as soon as you arrive to your hotel in Lisboa and explore the city and surroundings by public transports.

Lisboa and Porto deserve more than 2 days each (especially if you have 19 days here). You can do a day cruise to the Douro and return to Porto (there are 2 versions up by boat return by train or the opposite, depends on the day you book it), but if you have time to explore the valley why do it only in a day. Beaches and coastal landscapes are not on short supply here in Portugal, you don't need to go to the Algarve to see it.

visitportugal.com/Cultures/en-US/default.html

visitporto.travel/Visitar/…default.aspx

www.rvp.pt/index.php?op=conteudo&lang=en&id=2

www.turismodecoimbra.pt/index.php?lang=en

rt-leiriafatima.pt/site/…default.aspx

http://www.rt-oeste.pt/

www.parquesdesintra.pt/en/index.aspx?p=index

…cm-evora.pt/guiaturistico/…itinerary.htm

denver
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

To clarify, we have 10 days (not 19). Can someone give me information on how to book the boat/train from Porto to the Douro valley? Thank you

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,026 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

This link will hopefully help :-

http://douroazul.com/Daily-180.aspx

May be interested in my trip reports :-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189180-i598-k4461…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189158-i203-k1795…

Enjoy!

Montreal
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

Sorry, I thking there is a mix up. I am another person reading this information. The person who initially wrote is for 10 days. We are another group of 3 women, and I am interested in this itinerary. We will be in Portugal for 19 days without a car.. (no compact automatic cars in Portugal!!)

denver
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

Thank you! I enjoyed reading your posts and have looked at the link for the train. I was hoping to cruise one way into the Douro Valley and take the train

the other way. Does anyone know if that's possible?

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for 10 days in Portugal

For whoever's now interested (there seem to be different groups on here)... if you spend a few days in Lisbon (where there is plenty to do and lots of choice of acommodation, restaurants, bars etc) you can easily take several day trips out from there. We did a private tour in a very comfy six-seater with Have a Wine Day (website www.en.haveawineday.com ) to Evora - a lovely walled town with a Roman temple - which included (as the company's name suggests) a visit to a winery and wine tasting, but also a stop at a Portuguese Stonehenge and a castle in another town nearby whose name I now can't remember but which begins with Arr.... ? They also do trips to Obidos, and to Fatima and Batalha and a load of other sights, mostly with a winery visit if you like. If there are several of you it doesn't work out that expensive, especially since you can pack a lot more in and they'll tailor the tours to your needs.

Up north, the Douro cruise is definitely worth doing - you can take the boat up and the train back (or vice versa) as the views are spectacular either way.

Get answers to your questions about Porto