We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Lisbon to Porto

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Train Lisbon to Porto

We are travelling by train from Lisbon to Porto in May next year. Will it be necessary to book ahead, maybe on line, or can we just turn up at the station on the day. We will be in Lisbon for the week, so if necessary could book during that week maybe? Our dates are not very flexible, so would be disappointed if no seat available as need to be in Porto to start a Douro walk.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
141 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Lisbon to Porto

If you will be in Lisbon for the week you can buy your tickets during that period. Between the Alfapendular (more fast and comfortable) and the Intercidades (regular) train, you won't have a problem getting a seat.

Please mind that Fridays and Sundays are perhaps the more busy days to travel Lisbon-Porto.

Hope it helps!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,353 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Lisbon to Porto

You can see the availability in advance at www.cp.pt.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,939 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Lisbon to Porto

I recommend booking on line if you can. That way you can choose your seats and also ensure you don't have a last minute problem should all be sold.

You must be able to print your own ticket.

Bookings open a maximum 30 days before travel.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Lisbon to Porto

Thank you very much for your advice. I am enjoying planning this trip as my husband and I have never been to Portugal before. May is not coming fast enough. The recommendation to book on line so I can choose my seat. Sorry, but never having travelled on Portugese trains - is there somewhere in particular we should be choosing to sit?

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Lisbon to Porto

Not particularly, the choice is pretty simple.

Either first or second class and;

Either facing the direction of travel or with your back to the direction of travel.

To be honest, it's not a particularly memorable journey, but the trains are modern, clean and comfortable.

Edited: 2:57 pm, August 23, 2011
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Lisbon to Porto

Thanks for that. Is second class ok travelling for the 2hrs or so - comfort-wise - or is it better to get 1st class? We are budget conscious kiwis, so don't want to spend more money unless we have to.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,353 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Lisbon to Porto

2nd class it's fine, and if you are in a budget then booking in advance can be a good choice because some trains can offer a discount, as said before bookings open 30 days before the date you whant.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,939 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Lisbon to Porto

From Lisbon to Porto the best views are, in my opinion, from the right hand side of the train,in the direction of travel. After leaving the commercial and industrial sprawl of Lisbon there is a nice run alongside the river.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Lisbon to Porto

Really appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Lisbon to Porto

Definitely book, we turned up on spec for a train from Lisbon to Porto last week and had to hang around another three hours as it was fully booked.