We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week last minute

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
One week last minute

Calling on Porto experts! I am taking my mom on a trip in and out of Porto for one week - first of June, first time visit. Due to recent health issue - not a ton of walking, especially hills! We will do tours, although a car rental is certainly a possiblity if it means we will see more. Love to do day tripping if it includes a cafe lunch and wine! The river cruise is also an excellent option I think. Is a day or two to Lisbon a good idea?? What are some of the ways we could spend our time...seasoned travellers too by the way!

Douro Exclusive
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
TukTour Porto
Sightseeing Tours
Tricla - Biclas & Triclas
Sightseeing Tours, Gear Rentals, Bike Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
The Worst Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One week last minute

There are tourbuses, but I would recommend taking the old trams instead. They are alot cheaper and cover most of the oldest areas of the city. You can buy a full day pass for 4 or 5 euros and that lets you travel on ALL city buses, trams, metros, and urban trains for an unlimited amount of time. There is 3 day pass too. The public transportation website is:

http://www.itinerarium.net/default.aspx?tab=2

Rent a car if its Sunday, otherwise I wouldn't drive unless you have old world driving experience (i.e. no lanes, street signs, stop signs, or street lights in several areas. Traffic coming from the right has the right of way unless there is a sign.) Traffic is calmer than it use to be but it can still get gridlocked during rush hour. All it takes is a little bit of rain or an accident and pedestrians will be zipping past you. Also, you may want to preplan your route if you drive. The streets can be very confusing even to experienced portuguese drivers that don't know the city.

Lisbon is 2.5-3 hours away by train (depends on what train you take). It is a different kind of city but definitely worth a visit.

Guimaraes, Portugal
Level Contributor
254 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week last minute

Hi,

Instead of Lisbon, you could visit some of the towns north of Oporto. Guimaraes, Braga, Amarante, Vila Real are some examples of cities near Oporto that are full of historic places ... and fantastic places to visit

Vitor

Madrid
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One week last minute

I've stayed in the vila gale porto (http://www.vilagale.pt/pages/hoteis/?hotel=9). This hotel is very close to the tour bus stop, so I did the 2 city tours available (on more to the south and the other in the north of the city). It's a good away to see the whole city because you can leave the bus anywhere you want, and then catch the next one! With only one ticket you can do the 2 tours (I don't remember the price, but it's not expensive). For me, it was the best way to see the sights!

I've been to Lisbon as well and I really recommend you to save at least 2 days and head over there! Catch a train (3hours) and you will find a beautiful city, very different from Oporto (more light).

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week last minute

Thankyou for the replies....info is much appreciated. No one has mentioned the river cruise....is this a must do??? Or should we consider a driving day instead? Thanks for the info on the tour buses - this is surely something we'll do....it's always a great initiation to any city. Not afraid of driving - having driven in many different cities, but will definitely avoid rush hours!! Thanks again!

5. Re: One week last minute

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, September 27, 2009