We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas in porto?

atlanta
1 post
Save Topic
christmas in porto?

i'll be honeymooning in portugal this december and we're spending Dec 24 through Dec 26 in the Porto area... Does that area tend to close down over christmas? we were hoping some vineyards would be open on the 24th or 26th. any ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
psz
Portugal
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas in porto?

Hi,

What I can say is that on the Christmas day most of shopping centres of Porto are open, but not all shops there are.

On 24th and 26th there is no problem.

I hope you enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas in porto?

hi.

porto is a great city to shop. On the 24th expect every shop packed till around 6 pm . after that most of the shops close because down there the most important day is the 24 th evening thats when the families get together. on the 25th expect some shops open, but not many well more than in england.

The 26th its all over there.

the bank holiday its on the 25th only.

im not sure if you will find any vineyards open but try to go to see porto tasters just under D. luis bridge.

The other side IS cais da ribeira where are a dozens of restaurantes (with english menus) u can cross the bridge by walk there only would take about 2/3 mins.

hope u have a nice time.

Any more faq just ask?

NYC
Level Contributor
95 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas in porto?

just a general question- i was planning to book my first ever trip to Portugal for this January- what is the weather like that time of year? I looked at weather.com but they are usually not so correct... would it be better to leave the trip until the spring or is january not too unpleasant?

Mentioned in this post
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas in porto?

the weather is not so great in january i would recomend to go from mid april.

IF you go to bbc.co.uk /weather you will find the averages for that time of the year.

psz
Portugal
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas in porto?

In January the probability of being "frozen" is high !! :) in Porto.

The temperature is about 8-14 ºC if not rains. I can say that January is the coldest month of the year in Porto!

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal