We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
galway
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

Hi Guys,

So me and a big roup of lads are going to Oporto next week.I see it could be raining next week?Should we bring pants?Im still planning on bringing my shorts!Also what is the nightlife like over there?

Thanks guys!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

It’s raining torrentially in Porto today and I can assure you, nobody is wearing shorts!

Most people visit Porto for the wine, the old city with its maze of narrow streets and alleys and as a base to explore the Douro Valley. To be honest, it’s not really a city that gets a lot of “lads on tour” type tourism. The nightlife is lively at the weekend, but quieter during the week. For food and drink, you will certainly want to hit the waterfront (Ribeira) area a few times during your stay. Nightclubs normally don’t start until very late and go on till dawn, they tend to be spread out around the city.

How long are you staying for and where are you staying? Is it just nightlife you’re after or have you other plans? What kind of food are you into - this place has great seafood if you're into that.

glasgow
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

hi mort99

a was in porto last week and their is no nightlife ,we then went to lisbon which is the total opposite,porto is for the workers and lisboa is for fiesta

galway
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

Thanks Guys,

Not really fussy about the food,would prefer to go to a casual restaurant.Theres going to be at least 12 of us!Yeah I like seafood,love wine also!Is the food and drink expensive?So You would recommend to bring pants and no shorts?

galway
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

We are staying for 3 full days,4 nights in the Axis Ofir resort hotel.Nightlife would be high enough on the agenda Im sure!Foodwise,dont think anyones too fussy,good wine,steak,pizza,seafood,anything really with good prices preferably!

Thanks for the help!

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

Hi Mort99,

we are off to Porto this Saturday and the weather forecast is quite bad; rain showers and temperatures between 10 and 13C degrees, so not much warmer than the UK. It's not gonna be much better next week, so pack a coat instead of shorts!

Porto is a very nice city, the people are very friendly and everything is unbelievably cheap! To give you an example, last year we were driven around in a black Mercedes for about 5-7 euros for each 10 min journey and ate out in seafood restaurants for about 15 euros per person including wine! You can't do this in London or anywhere else in Western Europe...

Enjoy your holidays!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

Mort99, your hotel is actually in a place about 40 km north of Porto and apart from the fact that the beach is supposed to be very nice, I can’t tell you a whole lot about it.

As was mentioned by GIOKA123, the Porto area generally is very cheap for eating and drinking so don’t worry on that front. Restaurants are normally as casual as pubs in Ireland, you’ll find service slow, but that’s the way around here.

“Marisqueiras” are restaurants that specialize in seafood. “Churrasqueiras” are traditional barbeque houses, doing chicken, steaks ribs and also fish.

Despite nunchies comments, there is good nightlife in Porto, especially at weekends. If you’re staying over the weekend it might be worth a visit.

Try the Ribeira for all kinds of restaurants and bars, including two "Irish" pubs if that's what you're after.

galway
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

Thanks for all the information so far,being a great help!The lads are wondering is there any good waterparks around?

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
499 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

No waterparks in Porto or in the North of Portugal that I am aware of... Only in the Algarve.

For good food try the Adega Presuntaria Transmontana on the other side of the Douro Ribeira (in Gaia) near the Port Wine Cellars. Get there early!! It's an extremely good restaurant and quite cheap (€15 for 2 pax, just food). They have a huge platter of starters for €30 and the desert buffet is €5 per person.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

Nightlife is in Matosinhos and Ribeira, though I think Ribeira is not that active oustide the summer time (also some in Gaia across the river). The touristy parts of the city (most of the old parts) are too expensive or too old for young people to live there comfortably. Matosinhos is a close suburb where alot of young people live. You can get there on the metro from the centre. There are also a couple of scattered bars and clubs in the cities old part. Search them on the web if you are really interested.

During the day, the old part of the city is the place to be.

10. Re: Off to Oporto next week...Help needed please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 26, 2009