We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porto in the Rain?! HELP!

oxford
Level Contributor
27 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Porto in the Rain?! HELP!

I have organised a trip to Porto for my friend's 50th birthday, as he lkes beaches and port; however, hainvg planned a day on the neach with wne and sardines and another day on a river trip up the Douro I now see that the forecast for this weekend is AWFUL. We arrive on sunday am - which is apparently a holiday and everywhere may be closed, and leave on Wednesday. HELP! does anyone know what is good to do in the rain? We like colourful markets, good food and wine - any ideas, please, gratefully received. Thanks.

Special Offer
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
753 reviews
from $90.10*
$112.60
Douro Valley Wine Tour: Visit to...
107 reviews
from $118.90*
Special Offer
Guimarães and Braga Small Group Tour...
30 reviews
from $80.10*
$100.10
Private Porto  from Lisbon
7 reviews
from $175.20*
Évora
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Porto in the Rain?! HELP!

I'm sorry only because we arrive sunday. You must arrive one day before, because the night from saturday (23th Jun)to sunday (24th Jun)is the great night in Porto. It´s one of the must popular parties in Portugal - St John night.

If you can get to Porto at 23th, you will be very pleasent.

The weather will be fine when you arrive, I think.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porto in the Rain?! HELP!

Yup, as Liberalatis has said, Sunday will be hangover day as Saturday is the eve of the feast of St. John and on this night every year, Porto plays host to the most riotous street party you’ll ever see…what a shame to miss it. Unfortunately, yes, a lot of things will be closed Sunday. Weather permitting, you can hit the beaches, but if not, probably the best thing is to have a long leisurely lunch somewhere, as many restaurants close on Sunday evenings.

If you are stuck for something to do on Monday, (and since you say you like markets), then try the weekly fair at Espinho, about 20 minutes south of Porto, you can get there by suburban train - the fair is located about 1km from the station. It is absolutely huge and you can buy everything from curtains to ceramics to fruit and veg and live fowl. Unmissable if you’re into that kind of thing.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porto in the Rain?! HELP!

Change your flight and arrive on the 23rd!!! You just can't miss Sao Joao party all night long!

Don't believe weather forecasts for next weekend. They just cannot be that accurate. 2-3 days forecasts are quite reliable, but 7 days forecasts... hummmm.

And the forecast I saw says that sun will shine all saturday and sunday afternoon.

4. Re: Porto in the Rain?! HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, September 03, 2009