We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus service Porto - Guimaraes

Which Guimaraes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,160 posts
Save Topic
Bus service Porto - Guimaraes

Guimarães being nominated as European Capital of Culture in 2012 is well worth visiting. The tourist information is already documented (7 languages) with beautiful free booklets, describing all the monuments. The historic centre is very easy to walk and a delight because it is almost car free.

Apart from the trip report: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189180-i598-k4461… I would like to add that I went to Guimaraes by Arriva bus from Porto. As it was not easy to find the bus information I'd like to share it here with you: http://www.arriva.pt/horarios/ and click on Fafe - Guimaraes - Porto (Rapida via Auto Estrada), line 500 This regular bus service brings you in 50 min. to Guimaraes bus station. From there the (slightly uphill) walk to the historic centre was only 8 minutes. A return ticket costs just over 9 euro. The bus station is close to Trinidade metro, just a 2 minute walk up the road.

Right in the historic centre opposite the town hall (once Convent of Santa Clara, nr. 8 in the booklet), I found this lovely little restaurant for lunch. Inside it looks like a cafe with 5 tables but it has a huge garden at the back and a nice dining room upstairs. The warm weather permitted me to have lunch on the front balcony, adjacent to the dining room on the first floor. A small balcony with a handful of tables. I had delicious grilled fish (dish of the day is Euro 6,--) , various types of bread, great olives and the service was very attentive. A real hidden gem. The name of the restaurant is Art & Gula.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 9:36 am, September 22, 2011
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,977 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus service Porto - Guimaraes

I am pleased you enjoyed Guimarães. It certainly is a nice city to visit.

Future visitors may also wish to know that the suburban train service between Porto and Guimarães runs every 1 - 2 hours on weekdays, about every two hours at weekends and although a little slower overall than the bus is currently €5,60 return/round trip.

Portlaoise, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus service Porto - Guimaraes

I'm going there soon and wonder what time is the last bus/train leaving Guimaraes to go back to Porto on Thursday 19th April? I want to go to Footsbarn evening which ends at 23:00 hours. Be great to know if it better to book accomodation there for one night.

Regards

Margaret

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,977 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus service Porto - Guimaraes

The timetable for route 500 FAfe - Guimarães - Porto is at

arriva.pt/horarios/…20500.pdf

and you will see that buses do not run that late.

The last train back to Porto is at 2248 so best stay in Guimarães and make your way back to Porto the next morning. Trains run every hour from 0548, buses as above. Trains are half the price of the bus.

4. Re: Bus service Porto - Guimaraes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 am, May 31, 2015