We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus or train to Valença, Portugal?

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
bus or train to Valença, Portugal?

Ola- what's the best way (most direct and under 15 euros) to get to Valença by train or bus in the afternoons (say around 15:30 or 16:00)?

I've been looking into trains, but it seems like a 2 hour or more ride (with a change in Porto) to Valença and they don't seem that frequent....and I think I saw a bus from Braga to Vigo that stops in Valença and would take an hour, but that bus looks like it only has one departure per day, in the middle of the day. Suggestions? Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus or train to Valença, Portugal?

the train with a change at nine would get my vote and the costs will depend on what type of train you take.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
24,954 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus or train to Valença, Portugal?

Are you departing from Braga? If so you'll not have to come back to Porto to do a change of train. If you do the trains that have a change at Nine, you have 16 options along the day and the price can be as low as 9,45€

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus or train to Valença, Portugal?

Thanks @alittletoolate and @ptnov64...so a 2+ hour train ride seems like the only option...was hoping there was a faster option!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,772 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus or train to Valença, Portugal?

The only direct bus I can find leaves at 1830hrs and takes 55 minutes to get to Valença, operated by Rede Expressos.

There are fairly frequent local buses between Braga and Barcelos (go to www.transdev.pt for times) and at Barcelos you can pick up the train to Valença, but the overall journey time is still going to be around 2 and a half hours.

I looked at the bus from Braga to Viana do Castelo, one leaves at 1605 but arrives in Viana do Castelo just after the fast train to Valença leaves, an hour's wait follows, so no time advantage there.

Reply to: bus or train to Valença, Portugal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Braga