We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2006 Forest Fires

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
2006 Forest Fires

We have heard reports of several large forest fires occuring in northern and central Portugal. Although it appears that the Galicia region of Spain has been affected more than Portugal, the area around Coimbra also seems to have been badly affected by fires.

I would be interested if anyone has recently traveled through northern Portugal and could provide an update on the visual impact of these fires.

We are traveling to Portugal in Septemebr 2007 (a year from now), staying in the Minho region (north of Porto) and close to the Spanish border. Some members of our party have expressed concerns that these fires may be impacting the areas that we will be visiting in 2007.

We would not let these fires keep us from visitng Portugal, but they could be a factor in determing which part of the Minho we will stay.

Any comments, advice, or information would be appreciated.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2006 Forest Fires

Fires always have a strong visual impact and will be hard to miss, because they are very much happening everywhere.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2006 Forest Fires

I appreciate the insight. I understand many portions of Portugal experience fires from time to time which are part of the natural ecology of the region. I have heard the last few years with a prolonged drought have been especially bad for large fires and arsonists are to blame for most of the recent fires.

Have you been to the north of Portugal since the 2005-2006 fires have occurred? I would be particulary interested in which areas in the Minho or Douro (if any) have been most affected?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2006 Forest Fires

Yes, I have but that question is hard to reply. Even if it is a small country, it is hard to tell you exactly where the fires were because they are spread into different areas, and this year mostly to the north. You can google incendios (fires) and see what you find.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2006 Forest Fires

Cinanina:

Thank you again for the information. I realize my questions are general and difficult to answer. One cannot know the locations of all the fires occuring in nothern Portugal at any point in time. Some of the news articles we read about the fires in Portugal made it seem like the whole northern section of the country was burning, so we became concerned.

It looks like the biggest fires are near Coimbra and in Galicia, Spain. One website mentioned that there was a large fire near Paredes (in Portugal) . I assumed this to be Paredes de Coura. This area was close to where we will be staying next year.

I appreciate your help.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2006 Forest Fires

Hi

No, Paredes its not Paredes de Coura. Dont worry. The fires did not ruined the entire forest. youll see mostly green! Fires have always ocurred... its nature doing its job... Just come and have fun!!

6. Re: 2006 Forest Fires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 21, 2009