We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porto as a base

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Porto as a base

I am in early stage of planning - what do you thing about to have a Porto as a base and do several trips outside ( Braga, Guimaraes, Matosinhos, Coimbra) from this town? Or it is necessary to do those trips overnight? (Sick from packing/unpacking). 7 days too long?

Also - do I miss much skipping Lisabon and south? (Maybe a stupid question- but I think about Sao Miguel (Azores) instead - since we missed a lot last year. Thanks

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Porto as a base

Well, Porto is not a town, it's a city. You can indeed make it your base and take trips to the mentioned places. 7 days is a fair amount of time, you may want to blend in a Douro cruise of a day.

Yes, you will miss a lot by skipping Lisbon but you can only do that much? Or you have to split up your trip, 3 days Lisbon and surroundings (Sintra) and 4 days Porto and surroundings.

I think Sao Miguel is a completely different type of trip and can't be compared. Your decision!

visitportugal.com/Cultures/en-US/default.html

portoturismo.pt/Visitar/Paginas/default.aspx

http://www.dourovalley.eu/en/

http://www.visitlisboa.com/Lisbon.aspx

www.golisbon.com/portugal/cities/sintra.html

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,009 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porto as a base

My trip reports and photographs will hopefully help :-

Porto, Guimarães & Braga :-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189180-i598-k4461…

Azores :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189134-i1760-k4…

Have a fantastic time!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,865 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porto as a base

Braga, Guimaraes these are only about an hour by train from Porto no need to overnight. Braga and Guimarães are on the suburban rail network and the round trip from Porto to either place will cost you a whole €6.20.

Coimbra is further but still only about an hour as it is served by intercity trains and more costly but maybe less expensive than staying over. Round trip about 33 Euros.

All three cities have a lot to see and are well worth a day trip.

Matosinhos is a 30 minute tram ride from Porto city centre.

Edited: 7:35 am, March 22, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porto as a base

Thanks. I am thinking about Azores at least for one week again, since we totally loved it last year and also the flight to Canada is shorter from Azores:-). Thanks for all the tips.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,009 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porto as a base

Your welcome, have a great time! Please write a report when you return.

6. Re: Porto as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 24, 2014