We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeira Jewish cemetery

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Madeira Jewish cemetery

Does anyone know who now has the key to the Madeira Jewish cemetery? And how he/she can be contacted?

Many thanks if anyone can help.

48 replies to this topic
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,819 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madeira Jewish cemetery

Because there is no Jewish community in Madeira it is difficult to get any information. I know that about 4 years ago there was a group of people who wanted to start a fund to renovate the cemetery because it was in serious disrepair and falling into the sea. I believe the people at the garage (ProMotors) nearby may know who had the key but other than that I have no idea. If you Google it, there are a few thread, although not recent, but may be some info there.

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madeira Jewish cemetery

Thanks for your response, flower city. About 4 or 5 years ago there was a gentleman called Carlos who had the key and opened the cemetery for us. I had his mobile number but the number no longer works. I just wondered if anyone knows how to contact him or if there is someone else who looks after the key.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madeira Jewish cemetery

From below article it seems nobody knows where the key is, but I think the Israeli Embassy in Lisbon should know and someone in Funchal City Council. :.

shavei.org/communities/…

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,819 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madeira Jewish cemetery

The only other thing I can suggest is perhaps the Funchal Council, they may know, but other than that I don't know. Sorry

Poland
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madeira Jewish cemetery

Maybe Lisbon's Jewish community will have some information? On their website they list some information on Jewish communities in Portugal beyond Lisbon.

Contacts: http://www.cilisboa.org/tour_contacts.htm

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madeira Jewish cemetery

Thank you, Jozin, for that link. If I cannot get more information here in Madeira I will certainly try those contacts.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,070 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Madeira Jewish cemetery

Mr. Costa Neves from the city council has been mentioned in newspaper articles. Here's one of them, from 2012.: dnoticias.pt/actualidade/madeira/311294-cemi… (for translation: https://translate.google.pt/ )

Email for the city council: datendimento@cm-funchal.pt

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madeira Jewish cemetery

There is a lot of discussion in the Madeira portuguese press about this over the past few years but no name of a specific person responsible seems to jump out.

The Israeli Ambassador to Portugal, Tzipora Rimon, spent three days in Madeira in July, 2014.

See (in Portuguese): http://bit.ly/17pGepc

May be you should email the embassy in Lisbon to see if they can provide a contact name.

The email address is: israelemb@lisbon.mfa.gov.il

G Z
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madeira Jewish cemetery

Visited the cemetery without entering it as the gate was locked and the garage across that was supposed to keep the key (sounds more like an odd old myth...) was no longer there and its space marked "For Sale"... Still, Funchal is dotted with numerous telling plaques next to its numerous locations of historic significance none, however, next to this almost intriguing cemetery nor the past location of its only synagogue on Rua do Carmo, which is a shame and a disgrace. The cemetery was established due to the efforts of José de Abudarham, who has established his own Madeira wine company, some of which wines have commanded a very high price until very recently (mark owned now by the Madeira Wine Company), and who is buried in said cemetery together with other members of his family. All of which stresses even further the worthiness for Funchal city council to mark this cemetery and synagogue (also sponsored by same José de Abudarham wine maker and merchant) with the well deserved plaques indicating their role and significance in Funchal's colourful history.

Edited: 12:07 pm, January 23, 2016
Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madeira Jewish cemetery

A lot of work has recently been done at the cemetery at great expense, tidying up the cemetery itself, and also shoring up and underpinning the cliff below. A new keypad was put on the door to replace the old padlock and key, and a nice plaque was put on the wall with Hebrew and Portuguese lettering. Unfortunately it was very soon vandalised, and has now been ripped off the wall completely, leaving no evidence that it was there. Funchal City Council seems to have done its best with regard to the cemetery, but unfortunately there are vandals around who will spoil anything, not necessarily anti-semitic. It's so sad as it's evidence of the small but important role the Jewish community had in Funchal's history.

Reply to: Madeira Jewish cemetery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Funchal