We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out in the Funchal area

Birmingham
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out in the Funchal area

My wife and I will be spending 7 days in Madeira over Easter staying at Pestana Atlantic Bay on a B & B basis. We therefore will be looking for reasonably priced good value restaunts in the area. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

london
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out in the Funchal area

Hi tractorboy....

I'm from Madeira....try going to the marina of Funchal...they have a variety of places to eat there ranging from Upmarket over priced restaurants to local places further down the marina where us locals eat! its on the main marina...walking along the seafront if you look down you will probably see the chairs and tables out front and then you need to climb down some steps to reach the restaurants...

hope you have a lovely time...!!

Colne, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out in the Funchal area

Hello TractoBoy. My partner and I spent a lovely week in Funchal in February and can recommend several good but quite inexpensive places to eat. We stayed in the old town at the Albergaria Dias, which by the way is a great small family run hotel, and ate mainly in that area. Our favorite restaurant was Portao and we also liked O Tapasol both are on the main street in the old town. Nearer your end of Funchal we ate one night at the Casa Vehla at the back of the Savoy Hotel. It was good but a little more exspensive. You will need to book in advance at all these places. If you need any tel numbers let me know. Hope you have a great holiday, we are sure you will as it's a lovely island

Jasmin

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out in the Funchal area

We were there for a week in February and would certainly endorse the Casa Velha recommendation. Casa Dona Amelia, 100 m. away, same owners, is equally good, perhaps less formal. They're a little pricey by Funchal standards but distinctly cheap by UK standards. Both are an easy walk from your hotel.

In the old town, one of our favourites was O Jango on Rua de Santa Maria.

Note that you really must book for all three of these.

If you get bored with the samey Funchal menus and feel like a pizza or pasta, there's a great little family-run Italian just a few doors towards town from O Jango.

Colne, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out in the Funchal area

Hi DvaeH

Yes we went to the Italian you mentioned and it was very good and so was O Jango

Jasmin

GRB
Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out in the Funchal area

My wife and I have just spent a week in Funchal. Just a word of warning! we do not think we are naive travellers, but, be aware that in many eateries we visited it seemed normal practice to put food on your table, with the very slight inference that it was gratis! You would probably already be thinking this as the manner in which it is delivered implies this, either that or it is delivered and the waiter leaves the table so quickly that you have no time to query it. Or, as in England, a bread roll appears that you would not normally expect to pay for. We had one particilar encounter at the "Restaurante Jardins Do Infante" opposite the Savoy Hotel. We were "given" a "couver" as they called it, wrongly assuming, partly due to its minute size, and partly do to the fact that we had not ordered it, that this was a freebie! On checking the bill more closely, the next morning, I found a charge for 2 Couvers @ ���5.90. I called in at the restaurant that evening and spoke to the Manageress. She advised me that "yes this was normal practice" - "the boss told us to do it" They had had several previous complaints, she was quite open about it and appeared somewhat embarrassed for herself and the other staff. On mentioning this event to our Rep, it appears that particular establishment has a reputation for this practice. We did encounter other similiar occurences, we were however suitably prepared and queried the "gift". NOTE: Not all gift horses should be looked in the mouth, many are quite genuine and very nice establishments. Try the Beerhouse on the Marina. The Red Lion and Restaurante A Rampa both near the Savoy. Have a good time, we did.

Manchester
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out in the Funchal area

My wife and I too have just booked for a summer breakin Madeira and are both looking forward to it tremendously - but some advice would be much appreciated. My wife is a vegetarian and we have struggled on previous holidays to find suitable restaurants. Consequently we now try to go self catering wherever we can. Any advice on particular dishes, my wife doesn't eat fish either, or restaurants would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Danvers...
Level Contributor
901 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out in the Funchal area

Regarding vegartarian meals there is an Indian Resturant near the Savoy and Villa Caffe served a decent Pizza and Italian food with a very accommadating staff.

london
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out in the Funchal area

In regards to the adding of extras onto your bill:

This is the absolute norm in the whole of portugal.. We are used to it and it works for us. The Portuguese like to enjoy a drink or apperitif before the food comes and have some delicious bread/olives etc to pick at while enjoying your drink and talking. Its part of the eating out process and enjoyment.

If you do not want to pay for these extras then all you have to do is ask them to take it back if they are not free. If you want to enjoy the extras...they are normally very cheap..The prices should be on the menus...At the end of it of course the restaurant also gets the benefit of extra profit..its just the way that it is...The only thing I would agree with changing is the waiters making it clear to tourists that these will be added to your bill to avoid such situations as the ones that some travellers have had.

Enjoy your trips..

Chloe (Portuguese national residing in the UK)

UK, Stafford
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out in the Funchal area

Hi. I am staying at the Porto Mare next week for two weeks. In terms of eating out, do many restaurants have a dress code? I note that some requre trousers rather than shorts, which is a given, but do any insist on say a jacket or tie? Thanks, Rick

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating out in the Funchal area

There are tons of restaurants all over Funchal and everywhere else. I have never encountered a dress code at all. Been to plenty in shorts. Now there may be some upscale places at some of the fancy hotels that require something, but thre's plenty that don't.