We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeira[part1]

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Madeira[part1]

Just got back from a great holiday .Weather in the main good except on a couple of trips to the north and south west showery there. Cliff Bay excellent as usual reviews will have to wait a wee while since i was there two months ago.The island seems busy in Funchal but outside not very but it is the winter even in Madeira. However harbour works still going on June this year latest date i am told for work to finish but depends on how good winter weather is.Marco [Happy Tours] is still working hard did a couple of trips with him nice but prefer jeeps but too wet to do just now. His company is the only one i use in Madeira.Re cafes Rosedivine said Golden Gate was quiet at times i agee one morning nice day about eleven oclock in the morning a few customers mainly locals Ritz seemed packed mainly tourists.Beerhouse fine as usual same for Boutique Lido . Sedgeways and bikes on pavements when tour ships are in town are a danger especially around the harbour but i have said so in the past and still say so.Anybody going to Madeira should allways belt up in car or taxi etc since the police are enforcing the seatbelt law a local told me fines help pay their wages,Had a great time wil give further details of my holiday later.

Edited: 4:45 am, January 21, 2014
Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madeira[part1]

Thanks Bob for your report . sounds as though you had a good time , once again .

I think it was Calderglen who also said Funchal was busy due to the cruise ships but the Lido area was quiet . Regarding the Golden Gate Café , I also noticed that it was much less busy last year . It was difficult to get a seat there prior to the Ritz opening .

I am looking forward to seeing Funchal seafront this year . I am expecting it to be completed at the Porto Santa Maria area but would be surprised to see the harbour end completed for some time yet .

Thanks for your updates whilst away and pleased to hear you arrived home safely . I am sure you will be planning another trip somewhere shortly .

Edited: 5:17 am, January 21, 2014
Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madeira[part1]

Welcome home Bob, thanks for sharing your views on Funchal. Hope trade picks up as the season moves on at the Golden Gate Cafe, such a nice place to sit for a mid-morning coffee.

I for one, shall be pleased when the works are fully completed near the Porto Santa Maria Hotel. I can then plan a return visit.

Glad you had another good holiday.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madeira[part1]

Hi Bob. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday and that the weather was, in the main, quite favourable.

Knowing how much you enjoy your jeep trips, I am sure you would have been disappointed at missing out this time - I would imagine that some of the remote areas could be quite slippery at the moment and safety is obviously the first consideration.

Thanks for the warning about the seatbelts. Road safety will no doubt be part of the reason for fining people; however, the main purpose of the purge is probably to bring in extra Revenue.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madeira[part1]

Thanks for the report Bob, glad you had another good holiday. Mike, it was me who said I found the Lido area very quiet, but that's only my opinion and different people like different things. I also noticed that The Golden Gate was quieter. Regarding the seafront you can really see it starting to take shape. Was going to say ' looking forward to Part 2 ' but, I see it has just appeared.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madeira[part1]

Glad you had a good time Bob. I need to get in quick as I notice your part 2 thread has just been closed!

Edited: 6:27 pm, January 21, 2014
6. Re: Madeira[part1]

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 23, 2015