We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping for Day Trips in Madeira

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping for Day Trips in Madeira

I've read some threads here about tipping in Madeira and I understand that it's more relaxed than other countries (that it's a matter of personal choice and how you feel about the service you've received.)

But I would appreciate some guidance on tipping for day tours. What is considered a decent tip if I'm happy with the service (for example if the tour cost 25 euros or 50 euros)?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping for Day Trips in Madeira

If I am happy with a sevice ,I give a 10% tip .

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping for Day Trips in Madeira

On the many day tours I made just about nobody gave any tip (neither did I always; regrettably, just sometimes). It's as if it's not expected, but only NOW I felt compelled to think about it. May be quite ridiculous as I was usually very satisfied, but as said, sometimes I did and they don't expect it, which means: everything you give will be appreciated.

Edited: 7:21 am, September 19, 2013
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
12 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping for Day Trips in Madeira

Tipping is always voluntary, but I always give it is the service is good.

On one of the 80 Euro days trips my wife and I took out of Funchal, 6 people passed around a hat in the back of the van (for the tip) and handed it up to me... There was a total of less than 2 euros of change in the hat. Just handed the hat back to the 6 people, and gave a 5 euro tip directly at the end.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
4. Re: Tipping for Day Trips in Madeira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 21, 2014