We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning to UK from Funchal airport

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Returning to UK from Funchal airport

Is it really as bad as some have suggested? Any tips to avoid the apparent chaos?

31. Re: Returning to UK from Funchal airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, August 11, 2013
northumberland
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Returning to UK from Funchal airport

we have been travelling between the UK and funchal for more than 10 years, using various different airlines and it really isn't that bad. Yes Mondays are the worst, but that can be avoided by travelling on a different day of the week if possible. The check-in desks only open 2 hrs before the flight, so it doesn't matter how early you are standing at the front of the queue you wont get moving any earlier. We also travel by taxi between the hotel and the airport so that you avoid the mass crowds off the transfer buses.

Where possible, give yourself plenty of time, don't expect to have much time for airport shopping, there isn't a great deal anyway. There is usually always time for a quick bite up in the café before heading through passport control and into the departure lounge.

The staff are all pleasant and helpful, the airport is clean and delays are kept to a minimum.

The only delay we have suffered at funchal was down to easyjet last xmas eve when they decided it was too windy for any aircraft to land and therefore we were stuck for an extra 2 days over Christmas waiting for re=scheduled flights!!!!

enjoy your trip

Stotfold, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Returning to UK from Funchal airport

@Radleybabe, Thanks for your more positive view on the airport experience, I found it both reassuring and helpful. I would just point out though that the delays you experienced last xmas were probably due to a higher being than easyjet and they were only acting in the best interests of their passengers!

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Returning to UK from Funchal airport

Having made the return trip on a number of occasions I generally find Funchal airport to be a lot more civilised than most. The only tip I would give is not to rush through to the departure gates prematurely - once you have gone through passport control there is no way back, and the holding area is small with basic facilities. If flights have been delayed it can become very crowded. You can check if your plane is there from the viewing platform on the top floor - I have known them call flights through to Departures before the plane has even landed.

wokingham berkshire...
Level Contributor
60 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Returning to UK from Funchal airport

My husband and I returned from Funchal Airport on Monday this past week. We travelled with Thompson Holidays. Picked up from Eden Mar hotel at 8 15am was in airport by 9am checked in by 9 20 and through security by 9 40am (gave me plenty of time for loo visit, duty free shopping, and a coffee upstairs in café, even got sandwich for plane while in there). Impressed.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Returning to UK from Funchal airport

Steve Shaw52 - I agree with you about spending more time up in the café and viewing gallery and waiting until your plane has landed .That area is far more pleasant than the holding area .

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Returning to UK from Funchal airport

I returned yesterday from Madeira and if I am to be completely honest I would have to say I found Funchal Airport a bit more stressful than I have on my last few visits.

I think the reason for this is that I usually travel on the Glasgow flight which departs around 2p.m., however, yesterday I was flying to Manchester and flight was at 11.35 - when there are more flights departing and obviously more people checking in.

Mike - I did indeed chill out in the viewing terrace.

Rob - I agree that early evening on a Friday is an ideal time to use airport. Landed around 5pm and through immigration and baggage reclaim in no time.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
24 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Returning to UK from Funchal airport

Just returned from Madeira to Birmingham Airport, it was late at night (about 11pm) and it's quite normal anyway to have a bit of a wait at customs anyway. Drives us mad!!! Not all of the kiosks are open (in fact I think only 3 were) but we only waited about 10-15 mins, which meant less time waiting at the carousel for our cases. We've had worse waits (going to the USA after a 10+ hour flight, we endured a 90 min wait to get through customs!!)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Returning to UK from Funchal airport

Laptop i agree the airport at times can be stressful but well worth using to get to Madeira Look forward to your reviews and Mike have a nice time.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Returning to UK from Funchal airport

Arrived back at Manchester Airport just after 14 30 hrs. (expected time 14.45 ) This was the easiest return from Funchal that we have had . The check-in desks were open with only a couple of people in front of us .We made our way up to security .There was a queue but it was moving very quickly today .We went up again to the café ,had a cup of coffee ,watched our plane arrive and leisurely made our way through passport control .We were only waiting there for about 10 minutes and we were called for boarding .We also departed on time .

Mondays in Funchal are not always stressful ,just most of the time !!! .

Edited: 2:33 pm, September 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Funchal