We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus services

Lincoln, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Bus services

How long is the bus journey from Machico to Funchal, what is the cost, and where can I pick up the bus in Machico?

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus services

The route is served by SAM buses. This is the website (which does have a Google translation)

http://www.sam.pt

It looks like it goes about every 20 minutes from early morning but there only appears to be 1 on Saturdays and none on Sunday, but I must say I don't find the site very easy to use. Cost possibly around €5 euros.They have a desk in Funchal near the Cable car and they are very helpful there, also your Hotel will be able to give you a timetable. Journey is bout 45+ minutes

Sorry I can't be more accurate with times and cost. There may be other visitors reading this forum (or locals) who can be more accurate.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus services

€5 is spot on for around trip.We caught the bus in Machico on the main road near the roundabout.You cant miss it.Would not touch local transport at weekend.To hit & miss.Chance of not getting back.Like flowercity says,about every 20 to 30 mins in the week.

Rob

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus services

You can find Madeira's buses at www.tjwalking-madeira.com/busguide.pdf . password tjwalking

Normally an hour to Funchal but there's an express bus , half hour. see bottom of that long bus list

4. Re: Bus services

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 03, 2014