We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funchal in Feb?

Oxford
Level Contributor
27 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Funchal in Feb?

Help please!! We're trying to decide whether Funchal is a good bet in Feb weather wise.

We'd be coming for 15-17 days so could catch all 10 wet days....

Anyone been in Feb? Is it very wet? 80mm avg sounds rather a lot of rain when you're trying to find some sunshine.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Funchal in Feb?

The averages show February with 74mm of rain to be the 5th wettest month after November, December, March and October - in that order. Sunshine averages 6 hours a day which is only 2 hours less than the sunniest months of July, August and September.

We usually visit in January/February (will be staying until 10 Feb in 2014) and have usually (not always) enjoyed reasonably mild weather. But remember that the disastrous floods and mudslides a couple of years back happened, I believe, in February and just a week after we returned home.

The other thing to remember is, as has been said many times before on this Forum, that the island has many "micro climates" so it could be raining here and sunny there, coldish here, warmish there.

So, shirtsleeves during the day, thin sweater at night and a lightweight waterproof should be the order of the day!

Oxford
Level Contributor
27 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Funchal in Feb?

Thanks! That's good advice. Much appreciated.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
717 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Funchal in Feb?

Hi

we visiited in February this year. We had more variety of weather in a week than we`d thought possible - from hot sun to a tropical storm with monsoon type rain and winds so strong that the airport was closed for a day. The days, when dry, were a pleasant temperature for walking around but I found the nights cool/chilly. Impossible to know what to pack for all eventualities. We still had a good time but if it had been my first visit to the island, it would have put me off. As it was our third visit, I was not disheartened but we would never go at that time of year again. Back to June visits for us.

A lot also depends on what you would like to do on your trip. If you were hoping to sunbathe/swim outside/do lots of walking in the mountains, you`d need to be very hardy indeed! If you want to explore Funchal, visit museums and attractions, enjoy good food and relax in cafes, then you`d have a good time even if another storm came along.

Caroline

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Funchal in Feb?

Never been in a February,but often in January and last year in March and it was never a bad time for me, but then I only go for walking a lot, a perfect time for me. Last year March it was even warm, so that I had to look for some shade. I swam even in unheated pools, but hardly anybody does that on Madeira then, and surely no islanders.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Funchal in Feb?

Chezaban

here's an overall picture for Februaries in Madeira:

In February during daylight the air temperature is an average of 18.5 Celsius. At night the average is 13.1 Celsius. The average sun hours are 6 and there can be up to 13 days of rain. Its Winter! The sea water temperature is around 18 Celsius!

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Funchal in Feb?

I've been to Madeira twice in February - once when the weather was very mixed and another time when we had a glorious week with hardly any rain. It's impossible to predict the weather in Madeira (a well worn subject) so it's always a judgement call whenever you decide to visit.

Personally I prefer to visit Madeira in our winter time because its less busy and it gets me away from the English winter!

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
301 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Funchal in Feb?

Hi, most of my visits have been between January and March, and there's usually been enough sun to enjoy without it being too hot. It depends what you are looking for - at sea level the weather won't be less than mild, but it can of course rain. I normally bring long-sleeved shirts, a jumper or sweatshirt, and a light but effective breathable waterproof, which cover all eventualities - even for me walking in the mountains, though I do see people in fleeces.

8. Re: Funchal in Feb?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 19, 2014