We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

My family of four are coming from the states for our first trip to Madeira during the last two weeks of December 2013. Because we are traveling with our two adult kids,we want to do a villa/house or apartment rental so we can self cater and adjust to each other's schedules.

I had been trying to find something close to the center of Funchal but they are either booked or only one bedroom available during that time period.There are many rentals that are further out from Funchal with beautiful sea views and self catering but I am afraid that it would be too dull at night for my adult kids?

So where do you all stay when you vacation in Madeira? I would appreciate any and all input and thoughts from those of you who vacation on a regular basis there. Being from the states, I haven't met anyone who has ever been to Madeira! Thanks so much-

Can anyone tell me how close Canico,Palheiro Village or Calheta areas are for doing things in and around Funchal-restaurants,shopping,walking around at night,etc.? are

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Canico
Canico
Madeira, Portugal
Palheiro Village - Golf, Gardens & Spa
Palheiro Village - Golf...
433 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Calheta
Calheta
Madeira, Portugal
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

Hi none of these areas are near Funchal Canico and Calheta are small towns but a fair bit from Funchal.Palherio Village is very isolated also a good bit from Funchal just a suggestion why not try an area like Camera de Lobos others can probably give you more advice.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Canico
Canico
Madeira, Portugal
Calheta
Calheta
Madeira, Portugal
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

The three areas which you mention are away from the city and unless you have a car you will be reliant on local buses.. I would also say that Caniço and Palheiro may be cooler in December so something you need to take into account. Calheta is along the South coast but probably not enough for the children at nights. The majority of people stay in or around Funchal to soak up the Christmas atmosphere and see the lights and NYE fireworks. This Company may be able to hep you with accomodation unless you chose to stay in a hotel. www.ays.com

Mentioned in this post
Calheta
Calheta
Madeira, Portugal
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
London, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

Depends on whether you are hiring a car or not. If you are not hiring a car then you need to be based in Funchal itself to enable shopping, restaurants, walking around at night etc.

Canico and Palheiro are closer to Funchal than Calheta, although Calheta is much more picturesque and has nicer weather. But in all three cases you won't be walking into Funchal from any of these locations and will need taxis or public transport.

As a note for you, Palheiro village isn't really a village, more of a holiday complex and there isn't much to do there for adult kids.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Canico
Canico
Madeira, Portugal
Calheta
Calheta
Madeira, Portugal
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

momflys

for the best choice of vacation rentals 'Tripadviser Vacation Rentals' nonetheless!

Recommend 1 week in Canico and 1 week in Calheta!

-37 Canico Vacation rentals

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g580258-Revi…

-106 Calheta Vacation rentals in order of reviews:

www.tripadvisor.com/VRACSearch…

Mentioned in this post
Canico
Canico
Madeira, Portugal
Calheta
Calheta
Madeira, Portugal
Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

Have you tried Villa Juvenal in Funchal for availability? It's an old villa divided into 3 apartments about 10 minutes walk from the city centre and the same distance from the sea front. The owner also has other properties in the area which have more than one bedroom. There are reviews on Tripadviser. With adult children I wouldn't stay anywhere other than Funchal, the city is safe for walking round independently, there's lots to see and do, and good public transport connections to other parts of the island.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

I would stay in Funchal. A good suggestion (not the cheapest though) is www.ownersdirect.co.uk/madeirab/MD390.htm . Has availibility then (Belfores at least and Alegria at Christmas) , or search at Ownersdirect.co.uk , country Madeira

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Madeira
Madeira
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

Villa Juvenal, as proposed by others, is www.ownersdirect.co.uk/madeirab/MD275.htm

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have written emails to the owners that show that they might have availability so am keeping my fingers crossed.

Where is this place called Garajau?

If it says that the rental is within 10 minutes of Funchal -is that a reasonable distance?

Calheta seems to have a ton of places for rent but then on the map it seems like it is really far away to enjoy anything else near Funchal? Do we need to find a place that has an indoor fireplace or is it warm enough at Christmas?

A couple of the owners were nice enough to tell me that I am probably too late to get anything near Funchal at the holiday period as most people book a year ahead.For those of us from the USA and have never known anyone who has been to Madeira-who knew?

Again-because this might be our last family holiday together I am just looking for ocean views;fun kitchen to cook in;a spot for Bananagrams/Scrabble at night ;fun restaurants nearby;natural beauty places to explore and historical spots to see,etc.I had planned on renting a car but I think the hubs would like the idea of walking and cabbing everywhere instead?

Thanks again "Team Madeira"!

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Calheta
Calheta
Madeira, Portugal
Madeira
Madeira
funchal
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

Make search on this Link.

Many of these have apartments and self catering and with good prices.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g189167-c2-Funchal_…

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canico,Palheiro, or Calheta areas for a rental at Xmas?

Momflys, in answer to your question about needing an indoor fireplace at Christmas time, daytime temperatures in the winter tend to be warm, but it is cooler once the sun goes down. Many homes do not have fireplaces or central heating, but some do - whether or not you need heating depends on how much you feel the cold. We close our windows early evening to keep the heat in and put on sweaters if it's cold, but if I were you I wouldn't be specifically looking for somewhere with a fireplace.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal