We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
burton on trent
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

Visting funchal in about 2 weeks, would like to go up via cable car, 2 of us down in basket chair, (return via cable for the other two) Where do we find the cable car? from the port? Also would we have time to visit reids for afternoon tea? Anyone know prices for any of the above?

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

Just follow the road round from the departure of the ship, along towards the Old Town, but be aware that on cruise days the cable car is very busy, walk will take about 20- 30 minutes.You can buy a return or one way ticket on the cable car at the office where the cable car begins. I believe the cost on the Toboggans is about €30 per couple plus €10 for photo, but do not use the taxis,at the end as they charge extortionate fees, there is a bus (€1.90) back into Funchal.

Afternoon tea at Reids is €32.50 pp and dress code is smart casual (no shorts) and the time is between 15.00 & 17.30 but I would recommend pre booking, this is the link

www.reidspalace.com/web/omad/tea_terrace

Edited: 1:11 pm, March 24, 2013
burton on trent
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

Thank you for your reply, very useful

Liverpool, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

The walk along the promenade is quite pleasant. Takes about 20min to the cable car station. The ride to the top takes around 8-10mins with some spectacular views and equally spectacular drops below the cable cars. The toboggan ride is fun if a little expensive (2 people in a basket at 30 euros). The toboggan takes you about 1/2 way down, you can then collect a very expensive taxi, a bus or take the steep walk down. We might have been lucky but the taxis are becoming rather competitive and we managed to secure a taxi right down to the marina for 5 euros ( I am sure he was heading that way, but pretty useful for us). Might be worth trying your hand at bargaining. Enjoy the trip.

UK
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

Why not go to the bar in the evening -band singer ex pianist dance & cocktail cost you considerably less

good luck regmaiche

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

Regmaiche - if they are cruise ship passengers they do NOT have the opportunuty to go evenings.....

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

Actually some of the cruise ships stay overnight, so it is possible to visit Reid's in the evening for those passengers.

UK
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

Flowercity If as Roseandvine say as that were not the postion I would not have entered my above contribution as disinformation sadly sometimes apparent here is worse than none. . Over the years have had to have R tea many times, the point I was trying to make is I don't believe even Marcus wareing can make a smoked salmon sandwich 3 times better than yours or mine. At 32 E tea is not good value. Hence bar suggestion with Adler at piano - unequalled pianist in Funchal unexcelled in Lisbon.Moreover come to bar when you like & leave when you wish.Not like sheep herded by shepherd. - could try search engine www.izito.com insert . Adler Pereira MySpace. Buon divertimento regmaiche

London, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

The basket is great fun and we did get a taxi for €13 between 4 which as we needed to get 2 buses wasn't too bad. The ride depends on no of people in basket, so if you can persuade a third person to join you it will be cheaper. The photos at €10 are expensive but its not everyday that you get pushed downhill in a wicker basket. We are off to Reids for afternoon tea tomorrow as its our Silver Wedding Anniversary and wanted to enjoy the experience, which in reality I suspect is what you are paying for rather than the sandwiches.

9. Re: cruise visit, cable car up...basket chair down, Reids ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 01, 2014