We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

Glasgow
Level Contributor
229 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

We recently had an email telling us of proposed disruption near the hotel. Has this work started and how bad is the disruption? Heading over next week.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

If you type in 'seafront ' in the search box above you will find previous postings on this subject .The work has been going on since September and is expected to take 2 years to complete .

Also ,read the reviews of the Porto Santa Maria and you will see that the majority of guests did not find that it caused a disruption .

Mentioned in this post
Porto Santa Maria Hotel
Porto Santa Maria Hotel
2,024 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Glasgow
Level Contributor
229 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

Thanks. Yes, after posting the query I actually found these previous postings.

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

We have just returned from two weeks in Madeira. The works near the PSM hotel were in full swing, and personally I would find the works very disruptive to the extent that I would change hotel. I accept that some people are more tolerant of noise than others, but when we passed by the hotel the noise was very loud. I understand that the hotel is giving each guest 10 euros per day to spend in the Porto Mare complex.

Our Thomson rep told us that the works are ahead of schedule, and that they hope to complete them by next Xmas. Whilst we were outside the PSM big posters were being put up on the seafront explaining the works.

Mentioned in this post
Porto Mare Hotel
Porto Mare Hotel
2,267 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,593 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

I think that you will find that if the works are likely to impact on your enjoyment/holiday Porto Bay will move you to another Hotel within the group, all of which are excellent. The Porto Bay Group is an excellent Company and one of the best in Madeira so they will look after you and your concerns, if you voice them.

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

I agree with Flowercity . Also I have read reviews where guests of the Porto Santa Maria have actually enjoyed watching the works going on.

They stop their daily work early evening and at lunchtime on a Saturday .

Mentioned in this post
Porto Santa Maria Hotel
Porto Santa Maria Hotel
2,024 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

Stayed recently yes work going on but had no effect on our enjoyment of this first class hotel

Bedford, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

Whilst Porto Bay offer a 10 euro daily credit to guests because of the disruption they have at the same time removed the 15 euro table de hote menu from the restaurant!

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
8. Re: Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:00 am, October 31, 2013
Edited: 9:00 am, October 31, 2013
9. Re: Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:00 am, October 31, 2013
Great Malvern...
Level Contributor
322 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Building work near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

Walked past here yesterday and it was a bit dusty but not much in the way of noise - expect it depends on what is going on at any given time. Once all the foundation rocks and concrete is done things will improve. On the subject of guests enjoying the work I noticed that hotel has constructed 2 raised wooden platforms with railings around just outside their wall like you may see in front of cafes and bars. Not sure what these are intended for, but ideal for watching the building work!