We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Hertz car hire!

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Hertz car hire!

We have hired cars in europe and Africa for many years. However we had not encountered anything like the tactics Hertz use to extort money. When we returned home and received our credit card statement we were shocked to see the bill was 3 times what the original qoute was. We contacted Hertz customer services and they agreed an overcharge had been made. They then said it would take up to 10 days for Hertz Funchal to respond. Why? Because Hertz say that even tough the car hire centre has the company name spattered all over it is in fact just a franchise. After 10 days and no reply we asked them for an update and have been given another load of claptrap and nonsense. When we aked what the codes beside the charges stood for they said they did'nt know because the franchises all have different systems and they do not have access to them. We have informed our c/c provider to dispute the payment. So another case of emptor caveat.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

For what it is worth, we hired a car for a couple of days from Europcar back in January when we were staying at the Cliff Bay and they were fine. Agree not cheap, particularly the accident insurance, but no hidden charges and efficiently handled. They delivered and collected the car from the hotel, their offices were at Estrada Monumental, just a short walk along from the Cliff Bay, I went there to return the keys.

22. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, May 30, 2013
Edited: 12:05 pm, May 30, 2013
funchal
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

Avoid: Hertz Funchal airport.

Posted by sairua June 3, 2013 at 17:43 on the forum Routard.com

Translate by google.

" Good morning to all, I just returned from Madeira island that I really loved is great I recommend it to all world.

But what a surprise on the way, the company Hertz rent a car had taken me without telling me 238 euros. Because their payment they could retire and he wanted it for damage they found in a wheel. When I phoned them and asked for an explanation was hung up on me ..... I have been advised before leaving not to do business with them and I did not listen, pity... the person who told me had paid the same amount for a crash.

I would also like to inform users of this agenceHertz a pretty outrageous practice. If, as is common, you tiket of iregular parking Madeira (contractual rodent permanently In the towns and villages), know that Hertz will charge € 20 extra for the management of this issue. In fact, the contraventions Madeira website is accessible via the Internet in two clicks. When you return the car, Hertz agent checks the online status of the car, and tells you that you have to pay a ticket before a certain date ex. € 4.40, and your bill ... € 24.40! ! We had € 19 fine (two parking exceeded in time), and had to pay € 59 Hertz (yes 2 times 20 € management). With no WiFi, we thought the deal at the airport. Hertz proposes you, for € 40. This is an expensive mouse click, and estvraiment outrageous (but actually written in tiny on the contrat). So above all, pay your fines by internet beforegiving the car back, or better, do not choose Hertz."

Edited: 4:03 pm, June 03, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

Car hire in Madeira seems to be a complete can of worms, both from this thread and a number of others I have found here. Hertz is one firm I would have regarded as highly reputable but if what is reported here is true then they are probably best avoided. So if you can't trust the likes of Hertz who can you trust? If all of this is true then I really think that Hertz need to be re-thinking their business practices. As for me, I think I will just stick to buses.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

Hertz Swindle : I wouldn't recommend you their service at all : 1- we booked via autoeurope and payed around 250 € for many days which was a correct price. at this time, we thought everything was paid and that it will be ok. 2- when we arrived to desk to pick up the car, they asked us if they can "block" around 1 500 € on our credit card !!! which obviously didn't work for 90% of the people depending on your bank. Afterthat we were obliged to accept their additionnal 15€/day insurance to avoid the 1 500€ "money block". For us, that is to say an additionnal 112 € !! 3- when we came back they also add 6€ for cleaning. Finally, if you parked wrong I heard they also add an additionnal 20 € fee for each fine !

*** AVOID AT ANY COST ! your wallet will thank you :) ***

Buckinghamshire UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

Thank you for the timely warning. I received an email today from Auto Europe offering a Hertz deal. Having read through this thread, I will not be using Hertz at Funchal Airport and will probably not bother renting a car at all. Voting with our feet is probably the only way rouge companies can be made to clean up their act.

I'm surprised Hertz allow their brand to be used by companies with such a lamentable customer service attitude. If I'd been treated in the way many of the posters on this thread claim, I'd never use Hertz again

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

I've been to Madeira many times and have never come remotely close to hiring a car. It's just not worth the stress of driving and general aggravation with the hire companies, as described on this thread. The local buses are cheap, reliable and most of all fun. Apart from anything else, I always think a hire car is unfair on the driver because they have to concentrate on unfamiliar roads and can't possibly see the sights available to the passengers.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

It's not a general aggravation with car hire companies in Madeira. There are just some that should be avoided like Hertz. The buses are good, but they do not go everywhere. Driving isn't that difficult. I usually have hire car for at least part of the stay as there are places I want to walk that are not accessible and I prefer driving there to walking in a large group.

29. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, January 04, 2015