We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon 2013

Manchester
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon 2013

Hi All

We are thinking of a honeymoon in Funchal next April 2013. Just wondering which hotels would be recommended by people who have visited. We want somewhere special, bed and breakfast and with a sea view.

We are 28-35 age range.

Also, wondering whether to go for 1 week or 2.

We are thinking either Cliff Bay or Pestana Promenade, both very different though.

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon 2013

Cliff Bay would be superb for you, it has sea views, direct sea access and has a bus service right outside to Funchal, which is also only 20 minutes walk away. A very good hotel for a special occasion.

Take two weeks and then you can enjoy the Island at leaisure and take your time, there is lots to do if you want to or just chill out around the pools.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon 2013

I am a Promenade fan so would recommend it but for a few reasons you might prefer it anyway.

1. A suite at the Promenade costs about £1000 less for a fortnight than the Cliff Bay (room only basis)

2. I haven't stayed at the Cliff Bay but usually have a look in there when in Madeira and the clientele on average look to be a bit older.

3. You are guaranteed a sea-view balcony at the Promenade (they don't have anything else there). They also have a couple of honeymoon rooms on the top floor you might want to ask about.

Otherwise the Cliff Bay is an excellent, high class hotel and well worth considering. One word of advice though - go bed & breakfast and enjoy the huge range of restaurants round about.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon 2013

Cliff Bay is a very a good suggestion, but for something really special on this most special of occasions why not try Reids on a B & B basis at least for one week and possibly Cliff Bay or the more remote Chaupana Hills for the second week by way of a change in scenery?

Whichever you choose you will have a great time I am sure. Let us know your decision.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon 2013

I would agree with the suggestion of the Cliff Bay an excellent hotel but while i have not stayed at the other hotel it seems good however i must admit to being a Cliff Bay fan.

funchal
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon 2013

I have been invited at some years ago for a wedding celebration and party at Hotel Quinta da Boa Vista.

Wedding catolic celebration has been organazid by the English Church on the Quinta Bela Vista Gardens and the Party also in the old classic house also in the Quinta.

All the Floral Decorations on the gardens and the Restaurant have been made by " A Rosa " flower shop and the food all prepered in the Quinta.

Fabulous......Just fabulous...

The party of my 25th weeding anniversary has been in the hotel Madeira Sheraton(now Pestana Madeira Carlton) and was very good but that Quinta

is a dream.

Edited: 5:53 pm, April 13, 2012
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon 2013

I have to agree with PhilGB- the Cliff Bay has a ' more mature clients base', it is a good hotel and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are good. However having stayed with them on numerous occasions they decided to start charging extra for a view of Funchal harbour so hubby and I decided to go elsewhere! Yes we know times are hard for Madeira hotels, but after all Cliff Bay charge per person and not per room.

The CS Madeira also has very good rooms nice staff etc plus a more mixed client base and they charge per room if you book direct and not per person.

Wherever you decide to stay I'm sure you will enjoy this fantastic island and meeting the local people.

Holmestrand, Norway
Level Contributor
24 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon 2013

We stayed at Reids for our honeymoon April last year and it was wonderful! So special and really worth every penny! So if you can afford it, go there. Otherwise there are plenty of fine hotels included the Cliff Bay. Enjoy your honeymoon in April next year! I think April is one of the best months in Madeira, so green and so much flowers everywhere.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon 2013

I wouldn't agree that the Cliff Bay has a more mature client base, no more than anywhere else in Madeira. There were lots of young people there when we were there and even a few children.

I don't have any experience of any other hotels in Madeira but have to say that the Cliff Bay is a lovely hotel and the views are to die for. If you contact them and let them know it is your honeymoon they will make sure you have a nice room and make a fuss of you. The first time we went it was our wedding anniversary and my husbands birthday and we got flowers and wine and a birthday cake. They also gave us a lovely room which was an upgrade.

I agree that Reids is lovely and we enjoyed going to their restaurant Villa Cipriani and had a table on the terrace overlooking the sea. If you can't afford to stay there then maybe that is something you could consider doing. I think possibly the clientèle in that hotel may possibly be older. I know a retired doctor who goes there about three times a year.

Edited: 12:02 pm, April 15, 2012
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon 2013

For a honeymoon I would go for somewhere with a bit more madeiran character and a smaller more intimate feel than any of the hotels mentioned. We have always stayed at Jardins do Lago which is a lovely old qunita that has been completely refurbished and has a new wing added to it. The grounds are beautiful and the setting is very peaceful. The pool is beautiful and the rooms are much much bigger than your average hotel room. They also always upgrade visitors for their anniversaries and honeymoon. We've always stayed in a premier suite which are bigger than most 2 bedrrom houses and the views from the double aspect terraces are stunning. The junior suites are also gorgeous and even the most basic rooms are very apcious and beautiful, all with an outside terrace. Sadly for me its not a hidden secret anymore and its now the No 1 hotel on trip advisor.

I would go for 2 weeks not one. Theres loads to do and see on Madeira and we've always gone for 10/12 days and we're still finding new things to do.

Edited: 10:54 am, April 19, 2012
UK
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon 2013

If I were ever young again (unlikely even with 6 months in La Priarie & copious baby lamb foetus injections) I would not go to Reids (unless prepared for predominance of likes of me) lovely as both are. Nor to Choupana miles from anywhere to go to have quick supper. Cliff Bay I agree I suppose it is question of what one calls mature though.Quinta Bela Vista is an inspired rec - Likewise do Logo.On balance I would choose CB tho a saving of £1k at Promendade looks enticing in the hard times ahead. Decision decisions .Many congrats in advance Regmaiche