We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast/evening meal eating out near Regency Madeira Club

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
135 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast/evening meal eating out near Regency Madeira Club

Will be staying for a week and was wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere to go for breakfast near the hotel that is not overly expensive, also places to eat in the evening that are traditional. Is there a good supermarket for us to stock up on when we arrive for the days we don't fancy eating out. Thanks

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast/evening meal eating out near Regency Madeira Club

I put a short message on your other posting but to expand that, breakfast is not a meal done in lots of places here apart from Hotels. Two which spring to mind close to where you are staying, Moynahans, an Irish bar behind Club and Vermilinho overlooking the Marina in the seafront.

Here is the TA reviews for the Irish Bar.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g189167-d1…

Not sure how much the little supermarket sells but likely to be more expensive than the Chain Pingo Doce. You can get a taxi there to Pingo Doce in the Lido area (Below Eden Mar shopping centre) and there are always taxis outside for your return trip, so no carrying shopping back. They also have take away.

In the same area (Lido) there are numerous restaurants to suit all tastes and reasonably priced or going in the other direction, try the Old Town at the East end of the City, again a short distance away by taxi or strolling(about 20 mins)

Edited: 5:52 am, June 16, 2014
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast/evening meal eating out near Regency Madeira Club

Also posted on your other thread but possibly Petit Fours Patisserie for a cafe type of breakfast (coffee/tea/cakes/savouries etc). Open from 8am in parade of shops almost opposite Reid's (5 mins + walk).

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

For evening meals Casal da Penha is a good restaurant close to your hotel.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189167-…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast/evening meal eating out near Regency Madeira Club

I have, on a few occasions, had morning coffee at Petit Fours Patisserie. Would recommend.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast/evening meal eating out near Regency Madeira Club

Q_M Just read your review on Casal de Penha. Have never eaten there. Reviews are very good so may give it a try when I visit Madeira in a couple of weeks time. Shall probably have the usual complaint (albeit a good one) - not enough time to visit everywhere on your list.

I digress - felt sorry for Ronaldo last night - he tried in vain to hold Portugal team together. It was never going to be an easy game but final score really disappointing.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,188 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast/evening meal eating out near Regency Madeira Club

I agree with queen_mary.. Petit Fours is not too far to walk and they do nice coffee and pastries. Also agree on Casal de Penha - we've always had very good steak there. Also very close to your hotel, we like Dona Amelia and their 'sister' restaurant Casa Velha. For a nice change, Istanbul restaurant is very good, too.

It's about a 20-minute walk to the Pingo Doce supermarket that flowercity mentions. I walk there and back from the Royal Savoy (just over the road from Regency) but then I'm usually only carrying some fresh fruit - nothing too heavy. You could always stroll there and taxi back if you have heavy shopping. For the odd item - bread, bottle of milk or juice etc., the nearby Spar shop is fine - and is open fairly late.

6. Re: Breakfast/evening meal eating out near Regency Madeira Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 20, 2015