We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve fireworks

England
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve fireworks

I read on another site that the firework display is not as good any more due to financial cuts. Is this true, would you say?

39 replies to this topic
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve fireworks

NTY fireworks are fantastic so just visit Madeira and enjoy , amongst the best in the world. Often they are displayed by the winner of the Atlantic Festival in June

Edited: 4:02 pm, June 26, 2013
Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve fireworks

Not only are The New Year's Eve fireworks fantastic, as flowercity says, but Funchal is just made for the most spectacular firework display you will ever see. The natural amphitheatre of the city overlooking the ocean, the rapidas at the back of the city all lit up, 7 or 8 cruise ships in the bay with lights blazing, countless illuminated small boats - truly a wonderful experience not to be missed. With the year dates on the 2 hills on either side of the city, the sense of anticipation as midnight nears is palpable, and then as the date changes the cacophony of sound and spectacular firework display, you won't see or feel anything quite as wonderful as this anywhere else.

Toronto
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve fireworks

We are staying outside the city in Arco we will need to drive into the city what will be the best location for viewing.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve fireworks

Arco what?

You will need to find your way around the marina or Santa Catarina gardens. There will also be catamarans and other craft going out to sea and serving bubbly and nibbles, another fantastic way to see them.

Toronto
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve fireworks

Sorry, Arco do Calheta, we arrive on the 29 with little time to source boats. Where would be the best place to enquire as it seems to be the best alternative. I have a disability and mobility is a major issue. Thank you.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve fireworks

All boats and catamarans go from the Marina in Funchal, the catamarans can help with disabilities with mobility. You can email them , this is the website for one of them

www.madeiracatamaran.com Send them an email and they will answer any questions you have.

Alternative try and find a restaurants which is close to the Marina or even in it and book a table, but because you don't arrive until 29th that may not be practical, unless you book with a restaurant like The Fort via email before your arrival. They have good reviews here on TA.

Toronto
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve fireworks

Thank you , have sent a message to the boat . Flowercity where was home prior to Madeira, you have been a great source of information and I Thank You.

Edited: 1:04 am, July 20, 2013
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve fireworks

Pleased to be of help. I am originally from the UK. I have lived here nearly 10 years after coming on holiday for several years before that, I try to keep up with what is going on, but not always easy as information is often hard to get but I do my best. I hope you have a fabulous time in Madeira.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Eve fireworks

Flower City-which restaurants around the harbor that are "somewhat reasonable" would you recommend for the fireworks in December? Thanks for all your help!

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Year's Eve fireworks

The best one is probably the 'Beer House' overlooking the Marina, but you will need to prebook. It has a conical shaped roof and is very good just for a drink or for good food. It brews it's own 'wheat' beer which is also very nice. This is the tel number tel:291 229011.

Whereever you eat on NYE, you are best to try and prebook as they get full very quickly.

Reply to: New Year's Eve fireworks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted