We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

Which Madeira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Skipton
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

We are thinking of going to Madeira in the school holidays with our son who is 7. Thinking of Funchal and don't really want to hire a car. Wondered whether people would advise self catering or B & B/half board and if there would be enough to do and see that would also entertain our son? We have an average budget. Thanks for your help.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

If it is a first visit to Madeira Funchal is the best bet. I note you say you don't particularly want to hire a car - public transport is excellent and you can get a bus from Funchal to most other towns/villages on the island. Taxis are plentiful and very reasonable. It is also possible to see much of the island using organised tours - e.g the tours offered by Madeira Happy Tours (very popular).

Bed and Breakfast is the best option when staying in Madeira. There are lots of restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets and you are, of course, helping the local economy. The only disappointment about eating out is not having enough time to visit all the restaurants that may appeal to you.

Hope this is of some help.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

I agree with the previous post's recommendations .

To add to that , may I recommend the Eden Mar /Porto Mare Hotel Complex which has many facilities for children , great pools and gardens .

Also I think your son would enjoy the whale and dolphin boat trips from Funchal marina .

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

Hi,

I have the same dilemma as you OxfordSkipton.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way for children in Madeira. We don't want to visit somewhere full of the usual British tourists feeling like we're still in Britain in the sun, but we do want to do a handful of things geared towards children of which it seems hard in Madeira.

I did come across a website which may help somewhat :-

love-madeira.com/things-to-do-in-madeira-chi…

Skipton
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

Thank you very much for all that useful information - it's a great help!

Skipton
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

Thank you for your reply. The Porto Mare complex looks great and I am sure my son would love the whale and dolphin watching!

Skipton
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

Thank you so much for that. I have just looked at the website you recommended and that has given me some great ideas!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
70 reviews
7. Re: Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

I haven't stayed at Porto Mare/Eden Mare but it has a very good reputation for offering the most for children. We used to have a regular on the forum who stayed there every year and his daughter (same age group) loved it there.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

Agree with qm.Knowing what i know now, i would chhose the Porto Mare complex if going with children.Bit more of a family atmosphere than most hotels in Funchal.

Rob...We stayed in 2007

Edited: 7:25 am, February 20, 2013
Old Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
87 posts
46 reviews
9. Re: Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

Suggest you allocate at least half a day to take your son up to the Monte Palace Tropical Gardens. The cable car ride up to Monte in itself would thrill any 7 or 70 year old. I'm not certain, but if your son is under 7 yrs old he may go up, and return on the cable car for free! Entrance fee required for getting into Monte Palace Tropical Gardens but money very well spent. The gardens cover a good many acres running down the hill side. The tropical gardens really are a delight for the whole family and not just for your 7 yr old. You will see bridges, fountains and a maze of pathways, local Madeira flora together with many others from around the world, magnificent Koi carp and fish ponds, Chinese Gardens, a variety of water features swans, ducks, peacocks and Chinese and Japanese cultural structures - the list could easily go on. A lot of walking involved but if my wife could do it on a walking stick after recovery from a broken femur, anyone could. Visit the gemstone and crystal exhibition before you leave as it's a world beater. One word of advice; don’t plan to go on a day when a cruise liner is berthed in the harbour!

Skipton
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Where to go in Madeira - couple with 7 year old boy

Thank you for that. Porto Mare seems to be a great place to go.

Get answers to your questions about Madeira