We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet cancellations

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Easyjet cancellations

Easyjet cancelled all of their flights to and from Funchal today due to bad weather - very strong wind making it difficult to land. All passengers departing from Madeira to UK have been placed in hotel in Santa Cruz on half board basis and flights are due to resume of boxing day. Interesting though that all other airlines did fly and land in and out of Madeira today! Feel very sorry for all passengers - those still in the UK who were looking forward to a Christmas Day in Madeira and will now have to try and scrape a Christmas lunch together from somewhere etc and for those in Funchal who may have been travelling back to spend Christmas with family/friends in the UK. The forecast was apparently for the strong winds to pass through - hence other airlines did land, so it does make you wonder why Easyjet are so very quick to cancel their flights.

Honiton, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Easyjet cancellations

One thing I'm hoping for is that someone else on the Bristol to Funchal flight on 24 Dec. will post a message confirming that we were told over the tannoy by the Captain that Funchal Airport was CLOSED! Otherwise, it is just my word against Easyjet.

Edited: 11:57 am, December 27, 2012
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Easyjet cancellations

EU citizens rights on flight delays, cancellations and overbooking that prevents you from boarding …

Official EU website:

europa.eu/youreurope/…index_en.htm

Honiton, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Easyjet cancellations

Easyjet have offered us a voucher (not a refund) to use for any future flights we book with them to the full value of our fares. This voucher has a booking deadline of 24 June 2013, but we can travel after that date as long as flights are booked before.

Our "beef" with them is that they told us the airport was closed when it clearly wasn't and we would like to know why they told us this!!

We are waiting for a refund for the hotel booking. The whole trip was booked as a package through Expedia.com and we should get our money refunded from them for the hotel.

We will not get a refund for car parking booked at Bristol because we had already checked in - obviously - because we actually got onto the flight.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Easyjet cancellations

For those of you who read the Madeira !news blog, if you read the comments for the last 2 entries, among others there is one saying that the airport was' out of wind limits' for certain types of aircraft/flight crews for part of the morning. Perhaps this has something to do with Easyjets decision?

Laptop, regarding the Glasgow flight, it took off on time but landed 25 minutes late because we were stacked in a queue north of Madeira in bad turbulence for quite a long time. We touched down in heavy rain. By the time we had collected our bags and come out the rain had eased. Other people we have spoken to we're also stacked and I think some planes may have diverted toPorto Santo.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Easyjet cancellations

This is a message from my friend who was travelling on the EJ flight from Bristol

Thanks for your e-mail and the link to BBC News. There was only one flight from Bristol to Funchal on Christmas Eve and we were on it. We got back into Bristol at the same time that we should have been landing in Madeira. Most flights on Christmas Eve did land at Funchal Airport. There were only 2 or 3 that didn't and ours was one of them. We were travelling with another couple and as the lady was disabled, they had to wait to be taken off of the aircraft. Whilst waiting they spoke to the captain who explained that he had enough fuel to circle Funchal for some time and even land back in mainland Europe. It may have have been the cheaper option to return to Bristol. We were given 2 options by our travel company:

1. To travel out on 26 Dec but still return on 31 Dec (with compensation. amount unknown) or

2. Have a full refund.

We decided on the latter and spent 3 nights at our friends' house in Bristol.

We are now back in Leicester but travelling up to Scotland for the new year.

See you soon.

Martin

Manchester
Level Contributor
108 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Easyjet cancellations

Yes I did travel out on Thomson from Manchester on Christmas eve no problems at all landed about twenty minutes late that was due to the planes being stacked before landing and as for the weather it was rainning and fairly windy sorry to hear about the Easyjet problems

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Easyjet cancellations

That makes interesting reading but raises a couple of questions

It is correct that there was a restriction for certain aicraft, but the airport was not closed and the restriction was only in force for about 1 1/4 hours, so why did the flight not land in Porto Santo, which is before Madeira on the flight path?

Why did EasyJet cancel all flights, including Lisbon, where no such restriction was in place?

Given that the flights cancelled did not all set off at the same time, so the very short restriction(even if it was applicable to their aircraft) would theoretically not have affected their landing in Madeira, or even Porto Santo which is on the way to Madeira.

Interesting and very strange decision taken by EasyJet, but not unusual. Over the time they have been flying to Madeira, they are often the only carrier who cancels, if there is even a hint of winds or heavy rain, when others land and take off fine.

Very poor customer service, especially given that it was Christmas Eve, leaving customers upset and frustrated at having their Christmas ruined.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Easyjet cancellations

I remember when we were diverted to Porto Santo in December 2010 , due to the weather , only so many planes could land there ,others had to go to the Canary Islands .There were about 7 planes parked up .We were there for 3 to 4 hours .

I would love to know the reason for Easyjet's decision to turn around and cancel other flights .

Cornwall
Level Contributor
5 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Easyjet cancellations

A couple of years ago easyjet cancelled our flight from Geneva we were delayed for 4 nights extra. My advice to you would be to keep all of your receipts you will need to submit them to easy jet for refunds of everything including airport taxes. although the process was long easyjet did pay up in the end b but only after I threatened them with the local bbc radio gripe show.

Plymouth, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Easyjet cancellations

Hi Joan, we too were on the flight from bristol to Funchal, my names Katie Curtis and myself and my husband Mario were travelling with our 2 children, aged 9 and 10. The captain DID say that the airport was closed. My mum was at the airport in Funchal and as we landed in bristol at 1120 she text me to ask why we had been turned around as planes were landing, she later found out the the airport was only closed for 50 minutes from 950am. My children cried all the way back to Bristol as they were so upset that they weren't going to see their grandparents on Christmas day. I have also since found out that other Airbus A320's landed safely and only 2 planes were diverted to Porto santo and the rest of the flights landed with minimal delay - inlcuding a Thomson flight which was due to land at 1145 (about the same time as ours as our flight was taking slightly longer due to head winds) and landed at 1215! Sorry you were in the same position as us - it wasn't a happy Christmas as we were hoping for! Did you continue on the flight on the 26th December or cancel all together? Also I see you have been offered a voucher from easyjet - we were going to write to them and wondered if you could help us in the best way of doing this? Thanks and best wishes, kate