We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeira

Manchester
Level Contributor
109 posts
28 reviews
32 helpful votes
Madeira

I am new to the Madeira site after being a Lanzarote expert on trip advisor for many years.

I have decided on a change after twenty loyal years sevice to Lanzarote.

Comming out to Funchal over the Christmas break for one week

will be staying at the Pestama Promenade.

Really need some advice on day trips to what parts of the island and must see landmaks in Funchal.Modes of cheap transport

I will be eating out most nights and a favour a decent steak and a beer.any ideas .I have been reading info on here but it can get a bit confusing when its your first time stepping into the unknown.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
52 reviews
113 helpful votes
1. Re: Madeira

Welcome to the Madeira forum ManchesterMan.Think you may find this forum a little different than the Lanzarote forum.Used to go on the Playa Blanca forum myself.Stayed at the Rubicon,Natura & Timanfaya palaces.Gran Volcano,Dream Gran Castillo & Papagayo Iberostar.But one thing i have found is the standard of hotels in Madeira is a lot higher than in Lanzarote.The bus service in Madeira is tremendous.You can buy a Giro bus pass & it will cost you €1.25 per local trip.The rest of the information you require will be posted.

Rob

Manchester
Level Contributor
109 posts
28 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: Madeira

Thanks Rob

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
40 reviews
33 helpful votes
3. Re: Madeira

Welcome Manchester Man,

Some of the 'must do' tours are West Tour, East Tour and Nun's Valley, all with breathtaking scenery and views. You really get to see the Island.

Take a look at this site for information on the various tours on offer in Madeira...

www.madeirahappytours.com

Coral is the local beer and is excellent. Plus there is the Beer House down at the Marina/Port Area where they brew the beer at their own micro brewery.

Madeira is a great place to visit - Enjoy !

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
58 reviews
63 helpful votes
4. Re: Madeira

Manchester Man - If it's steak you like , there are several restaurants that serve steak on a stone , i.e. raw steak served on a hot stone where you slice pieces off and cook it yourself on the hot stone .Fabulous ,making my mouth water thinking about it .

You will love Madeira . Have a great time .

Manchester
Level Contributor
109 posts
28 reviews
32 helpful votes
5. Re: Madeira

What I enjoy on holiday is photography and video footage at places of interest then a few hours by the pool followed by a decent steak and pint then a walk back to the hotel have looked at the open top jeep safari up mountain seem to be highly recomended I really need to explore and find places that are unique to the island and can't be found in the uk would you go for east or west trip is it worth going on a boat trip

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
101 reviews
244 helpful votes
6. Re: Madeira

I think the following would be great places for photography and unique to Madeira.

Nun's Valley

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189165-…

Pico Ariero - highest point of the island, would need a clear day, I was there Dec 31st last year and was lucky as conditions were perfect

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189165-…

Ponta de Sao Lourenco - rugged scenery, spectacular coastline, colourful rocks

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189167-d1…

From your description of what you're after I think you'll love Madeira ManchesterMan

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
133 reviews
244 helpful votes
7. Re: Madeira

Hi welcome to the forum i am sure you will love Madeira. You said you would like a jeep safari at the time of year you are going at it can be lovely in Funchal but wet and cold in the mountains.Even this year a did a couple of trips in late Sept while one was manliy dry the other was sunny in Funchal but quite wet in the mountains you might be lucky and get good weather i was some years ago but it is a toss up re weather .I would use the company Pam said Madeira happy tours there are jeep companies i would not use but Marco of Happy Tours will advise.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
101 reviews
244 helpful votes
8. Re: Madeira

I suggested Nun's Valley but worth adding that the most scenic views there are from Eira do Serrado looking down to the village of Curral das Freiras. It is also possible to walk down from this viewpoint to the village on a wide (but steep) footpath but best to wear shoes with decent grip.

There is a review (dated 4th January) which you might be interested in. It describes a half day tour which visits both areas with pickup from your hotel

tripadvisor.co.uk/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Apart from the dramatic scenery, there will be many other opportunities to take good photographs unique to Madeira especally during the Christmas period.

Pestana Promenade is a great hotel and I hope you're as lucky as we were last Dec/Jan with the weather.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
52 reviews
113 helpful votes
9. Re: Madeira

We did the walk what QM describes last week.We caught the number 81 bus near the cable car station at 11.00.We got off the bus at the Eira do Serrado.Had a coffee at the hotel on the top,walked up to the viewing point then walked down the steep footpath to the Curral das Freiras at the bottom.The steps were very dry when we did it but i should imagine it could be quite tricky if they are very wet.We caught the 14.45 bus back from outside the Curral cafe.We had a great time & took some very dramatic pictures.Weather was kind to us with just a bit of swirling cloud on the tops.Price of bus was €6.50 return per person.

Rob

Manchester
Level Contributor
109 posts
28 reviews
32 helpful votes
10. Re: Madeira

Thanks guys you have been very helpful

Manchester mancunian