We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather warning

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Weather warning

For any visitors looking to walk along the coastal walk or walking in the mountains, basically - don't

Forecast strong wind, rough seas and rain…cause yellow, orange and red weather alerts for Madeira.

“The Portuguese Institute of Ocean and Atmosphere (IPMA) today placed under red warning, the most serious of a scale of four, mountainous regions of Madeira because of the forecast wind and heavy rainfall”.

“The red notice, which represents a ‘weather situation of extreme risk’, strong wind to mountain regions = with gusts that could reach 130 km / hour = will prevail today between 21:00 and 02:59 on Wednesday – recently extended from Midnight to 03:00hrs”.

The Yellow warning is valid for predicted rainfall on the south coast and the Orange warning is valid for the sea state, on the south coast – big waves!

Above Yellow and Orange warnings valid from 12:00hrs (noon) today until 18:00hrs (6 p.m.) tomorrow.

Obviously precautions are needed if/when travelling to the mountains or venturing close to the sea – DON’T!

The sea in Funchal has a huge swell and is crashing up very high. Take care...

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,455 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather warning

I wondered what that was on the IPMA weather chart this morning. Good luck. It's pretty windy here in the Algarve and we have an amber warning for high seas over the next couple of days.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather warning

I can see the waves on the Funchal waterfront webcam, never seen it like that before. If I was there I would definitely take flowercity's advice. Take care everyone.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather warning

Yes , the sea looks very fierce on the webcams . Everyone out there should heed flowercity's advice and keep safe .

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather warning

I too had a look on webcam - doesn't look nice. Stay safe everyone.

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather warning

Going to be interesting to see how the new seafront works in their current format hold up to the battering.....

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather warning

Flightradar24 indicates planes not landing at Funchal. Not surprising!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather warning

Looks very rough indeed just be careful anyone there.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather warning

There are a few cancelations according to the airport website ( http://www.anam.pt ) mostly EasyJet, who generally do cancel when difficult conditions are in place.

I was in the Old Town this morning and the work seems to be progressing as expected, much of which is hidden by barriers, which are offering some protection against the wind.

I understand the windy conditions will last into the night. At least it seems to be blowing some of the rain away on the South side but the mountains look very threatening, with very dark clouds.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather warning

Been a very wet & windy night with thunder and heavy rain. The airport is showing some Lisbon flights with delays on departure, the sky over the sea and the mountains is very stormy looking. Raining heavily as I write. Hope it clears up soon, Machico & Santa Cruz are in real difficulties, with boats in the Marinas sunk and Santa Cruz asking for help in the clear up along the coastline. I haven't had a chance to get to Praira Formosa to see what the situation is there but I imagine it will be bad.

Edited: 3:47 am, December 11, 2013
Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather warning

Thank you for the update. I hope it clears up soon and everyone is safe. Some of the photos are truly awful.