We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport in sintra

HongKong
Level Contributor
647 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
transport in sintra

i will spend a day in sintra by arriving from lisbon by train

i want to cover national palace of pena national palace of sinra and the morrish castle

is the 434 bus cover all 3 places if what bus will cover all 3 sites?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,273 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport in sintra

Check the local bus website www.scotturb.com which is available in English.

They have routes around town especially for tourists like the 434..

The 434 stops at the Pena Palace and the Moorish castle. The National Palace is a short walk from the railway station and not worth a bus ride if starting from there, but the 434 and 435 both stop nearby.

The 435 Villa Express is the other tourist route around town.

Mentioned in this post
Sintra National Palace
Sintra National Palace
3,948 Reviews
Sintra, Portugal
HongKong
Level Contributor
647 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport in sintra

thanks

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport in sintra

Hi, a question: I understand that there is a day ticket for the bus in Sintra, which you can buy when boarding the bus. With this ticket can I take the bus to Cabo da Roca Roco and from there to Cascais?

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Cascais
Cascais
Lisbon District, Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,090 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport in sintra

mihail75 - "Daily tourist ticket - Ticket purchased on board the bus directly to the driver, available also at the sale posts, may only be used on the day its valid for, in whole Scotturb network, with the exception of lines 400 (Giro Cascais), 401 (Giro Parede) and 427 (BusCas)."

www.scotturb.com/Default.aspx?tabid=157

Mentioned in this post
Cascais
Cascais
Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport in sintra

Hi,

I will be visiting Lisbon by a cruise ship on 16 & 17 Dec.

As 16 Dec is a Monday and majority of the sites are closed in Lisbon, we plan to head to Sintra instead.

Our ship will only dock at 10am and we will most prob only reach Sintra at 11ish am, giving us about 5 hours in Sintra.

Hence our priority will be to visit 2 sites in SIntra - Palacio Nacional Sintra & Palácio Nacional da Pena. If there is sufficient time, we will attempt to visit the Moorish Castle too.

I would like to enquire about the Bus 434 fare.

The Pena Circuit is 5euro and this is the description provided at the website:

"Pena circuit:

Go and return ticket, valid for line 434, whose circuit serves the Freedom Park, the Toy Museum, Sintra Palace, the Moorish Castle and Pena Palace.

On the way up users may disembark and reembark at all the stops to the Pena Palace.

On the way down the system changes and passengers should disembark at their specific stop."

Does it mean that for 5 euro, I can get on and off at the stops 1) Historic Centre 2) Moorish Castle 3) Pena Castle and then finally to the train station (Similar to a Hop on Hop off bus but only 1 loop ending at the train station?)

Or

While uphill, I can only choose 1 stop to disembark and while downhill, I can only disembark at the train station?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Sintra
Sintra
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,090 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport in sintra

Departing from Lisboa by train you also have another option in terms of tickets, it's the "Train & Bus Prepurchased daily ticket combined with CP, valid on any Scotturb line with the exception of lines 400 (Giro Cascais), 401 (Giro Parede) and 427 (BusCas), available at the Scotturb sale posts and Cais do Sodré, Belém, Alcântara, Oriente, Algés, Cascais, Estoril, Sintra and Queluz CP stations." It cost 12€. www.scotturb.com/Default.aspx?tabid=157

Mentioned in this post
Cascais
Cascais
Estoril
Estoril
Cascais, Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport in sintra

Hi 64novpt,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I would not be purchasing the Train + Bus Combo (12 euros).

This is because I only have 5 hours in Sintra and doubt I would be using the bus system intensively.

The train ticket from Lisbon-Sintra is about 4plus euros (2 ways) and the Pena circuit is only 5 euros.

That would add up to less than 10euros.

Would you be able to advise if the Pena circuit fare allows multiple hop on hop off along the stops uphill to the Pena Palace?

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Lisbon
Lisbon
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,273 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transport in sintra

"Would you be able to advise if the Pena circuit fare allows multiple hop on hop off along the stops uphill to the Pena Palace?"

That is correct as I understand it but having never used that bus I am happy to be corrected.

The round trip fare Lisbon Rossio to Sintra and back is €4,30 plus the 50 cents for the card on which the ticket is issued, therefore €4,80 in total. To that you must add the cost of getting to Lisbon Rossio station from whichever dock your ship will come in to. If you are able to use the metro to do that trip it will cost €1,40 each way, by bus €1,85 cash fare.

When you add those costs together, the €12 ticket begins to be more cost effective even for a short day out.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Sintra
Sintra
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,090 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transport in sintra

I've never used bus 434, but from the description I think that you can hop-on hop-off on the way up untill Pena Palace, but on the way down you can not.

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transport in sintra

Thank you cubsur & 64novpt for your help :)