We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking luggage on Lisbon to Sintra Train

Japan
Level Contributor
62 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Taking luggage on Lisbon to Sintra Train

In the threads about taking the train to Sintra, I cannot find any references to luggage. We will not be doing a day trip, but rather going to Sintra to stay for a couple of nights, and then on to Porto. Thus, we will have suitcases. Is it possible or advisable to take large luggage on the trains to Sintra? From what I read here it is basically a commuter train, and I know that I certainly do not like taking suitcases on the commuter train where I live(Tokyo), although I do do it if I can get my flights at the right time, meaning leaving on a Sunday and coming back on a Saturday or Sunday when their is no rush hour.

Should we just take a taxi? And what about the train going up to Porto? Is that train suitable for taking large suitcases?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,181 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking luggage on Lisbon to Sintra Train

I don't think you will have a problem with your luggage on the Sintra trains at a weekend. The trains are not crowded at that time. Just make sure it is not left where you cannot see it.

There may be a problem with luggage on the metro (subway) if you need to use that to get to Rossio station for the Sintra line. The Lisbon metro is very busy (it seems to me) at all times. Also, some stations on the metro do not have elevators or walkways to access the platforms, just steps.

The trains between Lisbon and Porto have space for luggage at the end of each car and also in overhead racks.

Japan
Level Contributor
62 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking luggage on Lisbon to Sintra Train

Thanks, cubsur. I guess it would be best to take a taxi to Rossio.

NE Penna
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking luggage on Lisbon to Sintra Train

We had no problems on our trip last month. We took the subway from the airport to the train to Sintra. (Note: the Metro stop for Rossio station is 'Restauradores' not 'Rossio'.)

But there's one thing: drag your suitcase *behind* you when going through the turnstiles. (Well, they're doors, not turnstiles, but anyway) I'm in the habit of pushing it ahead of me (due to the NYC subway turnstiles' tendency to snag the handle) but that doesn't work here. There's some kind of sensor or something that wants you to go first or it won't open the doors. I had the worst time when we first got in, as I was sleep-deprived from the flight and couldn't get the blasted doors to open. But there was a repairman nearby who helped me, despite my lack of Portuguese and his lack of English.

4. Re: Taking luggage on Lisbon to Sintra Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 04, 2013