We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sintra Line - safety issues

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Sintra Line - safety issues

I have been to Sintra several times but due to Sintra's Line bad reputation we have been taking taxis from Lisbon, which is quite costly.

This time we'd like to take the train to save money. Is it safer if we use the train at the rush hour? Are Saturdays quiet on this line, and therefore less safe?

Thank you

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,453 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Sintra Line - safety issues

At least the Portuguese police carry firearms and other weapons to deter the criminals and do not hesitate to use them.

From the way people speak, it sometimes seems as if there is no crime at all in the places they come from.

One thing Portugal does not have that the UK does is CCTV cameras everywhere, even on trains. That might not stop a crime, but makes it easier to identify the perpetrators.

Have a nice day.

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Sintra Line - safety issues

I discovered this topic via a Google Alert.

We're thinking of purchasing a property in Sintra, so we're gathering as much information as possible in the hopes of making an informed decision.

I know this post is old, but would anyone care to share the names of the "bad areas" that the train passes through? I know much is subjective, but we're interested in researching the area/region as thoroughly as possible.

Thanks in advance.

kent
Level Contributor
252 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Sintra Line - safety issues

To add my experience to the discussion, I went to Sintra twice in October...both week days. In the mornings I was leaving Lisbon at a time I would call 'post-rush hour' (10am) and we left Sintra at what I would call 'early-rush hour' (5pm - although this is based on times of the rush hour where I come from and might not be the same in Portugal).

We had no trouble. There were plenty of people about. But I saw no police patrols. In fact the only time I can recall seeing any police during my week stay was on the Avenue da Liberdade, guarding outside a jewellers!

Since then I have been on a London train, early Saturday evening, packed and with CCTV and found the journey much more terrifying because of some rowdy (and drunk) Millwall yobs. They weren't going to rob you but they would have smacked you and they touched up a foreign woman and started swearing at her for being foreign, so is anywhere safe these days?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Sintra Line - safety issues

There is no problem at all to use the Sintra line.

Just late in the night you have less people. But during the day is always crowded.

About security, Portugal is one of the most safe countries to travel in the world.

PS: We don't have violent crime, just pickpockets.

El Puerto de Santa...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Sintra Line - safety issues

I know this is an older thread but I'm curious if there have been any recent issues on the line between Lisbon and Sintra? My family is planning a trip to Sintra and would like to day trip into Lisbon but we are traveling with a child. I certainly do not want to expose my family to a dangerous situation and will plan alternative transportation if necessary.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,453 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Sintra Line - safety issues

I have heard of nothing recently. The trains are always busy, you need not be worried about being alone in a carriage with a group of youths bent on trouble..

The only alternative is an expensive taxi or taking two buses.

Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Sintra Line - safety issues

We will have our car with us on our trip but prefer to take the train in so we don't have to worry about parking, and my little man loooooves the train, figured it was a win win but this post made me rethink- glad to hear things have settled down.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,620 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Sintra Line - safety issues

Things were never bad during daytime, the issues where at late night and much less frequent than when you read some reports....

29. Re: Sintra Line - safety issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 17, 2015